V23 on M1

2»

Comments

• I am also thinking of upgrading my MacBook Pro Intel to a new M2. Comparing Intel vs M2orM1 do you find that its BC runs better, less bugs on an M1 or M2? I have been working on a project that's about 200MB with other XREF loaded into it probably another 200mb. I currently get many crashes on BricsCad. It will freeze, close out BricsCad, and the most recent one... I am drawing a simple line I click on a surface and Bricsad zooms out flips my view and attaches the line in some other random location. My best friend is to save my file after every change. I am hoping an upgrade will take care of some of these things, but I don't want to buy a new computer if the Bricscad is less stable on the M1 and M2 than the Intel.

My Current computer is not bad either. I have an 8-core I9 with 32GB of Ram and 1TB of memory that is not even close to being used up.
  • I used to have problems on large CAD models when running BricsCAD on a 2015 15" MBP with 6 core i9 32 GB RAM 4 GB VRAM and 1 TB SSD - from memory above about 250 MB. Very seldom had such large files but it was a problem if I did need to.
    Apple is generally quite RAM hungry I think, as it seems to use whatever RAM is available and then if it needs more it sometimes chokes as it starts to swap.
    With the M1 and M2 the SSD is faster than on the earlier (Intel) machines so swapping to the SSD is less noticeable especially if you have a 1 TB or larger SSD with a higher data transfer rate than a smaller one as it runs RAID 0 - I think.
    My M1 MBA with 16 GB RAM felt similar to the i9 on 32 GB in speed and general performance, but I didn't use the Air for CAD beyond dabbling with it to see how AS ran on BricsCAD before getting the 16" M1 Max. On the M1 Max BricsCAD really runs well. Battery life on CAD when on site is amazing. Really only got the M1 Max over the Mac Pro to get 64GB RAM.
    I would maximise RAM if you can afford it and especially if you are likely to run bigger models - despite the extortionate price. To be honest I seldom push it CAD wise or CAD model size wise.
    Most RAM I see in use is around 46 GB. Just closed BricsCAD then opened it and then loaded a 23 MB drawing as an experiment and RAM for BriceCAD went from 550 MB with no drawings open to 3.7 GB with the 23 MB model open and total is now 28.9 GB.
    With so much RAM I leave lots of applications open and seldom bother to close them.
    Only time I had a problem with BricsCAD was with a corrupted model.
    Apart from the minor CUI issues mentioned above that is. On V23 the only problem I have is if I have Quit BricsCAD I need to check the "Commandline" in "Panels" to display the Command line when I reopen it.
    Hope that helps.
  • I always state that Bricscad does not run worse on M1s vs Intel Macs.

Just that it runs worse on any Mac than on Windows.
    There are still many CUI and freezing (when closing, after sleep, ...)
    issues that do not make Bricscad feels like a standard App on Mac.
    But Bricscad Mac is at a state where it is possible to work with it.

For me Bricscad isn't the fastest 3D CAD on the market. My other CAD
    (Windows or Apple ARM native) can handle the same crowded files much
    easier and faster. In 2D/3D Graphics and Data Handling.
    Even on that limited 16 GB M1 Mini.

My 16 GB M1 Mini has limitations with DWG sizes above 60 - 250 MB
    but these files are also far from fluid on the unlimited PC.
    But, beside for testing, I wouldn't ever had bought a machine with less than
    64 GB memory for serious CAD+3D anyway and am waiting for a M2 Studio.