V8 & Architecturals

"Bricscad is not found on your machine" It's the message i receive when i install Architecturals whereas V8 Beta is intalled.How can i install Architecturals with V8 ?Thx in advanceRSTAS

Comments

• "Architecturals does not run on Bricscad V8. So you will need to continue to use V7. There is currently no firm planning for a new release of Architecturals."I emailed Bricsys to check before downloading the beta or pre-ordering the finished release, and that's the reply I got. Since v8 is being billed as a "milestone version" with features which will make us "wonder why it wasn't designed like this in the first place", why oh why wasn't it also designed to work with Architecturals in the first place too??

• I would like that Bricssys takes a clear position about this subject... No planning also for a new release in a long term ?I would like to know if i must (again) prepare to migrate to another 3D software. (I come from ADT ...)Is it so difficult to make run Architecturals under V8 ?Well, let's hope a reply from Bricssys.

• I was very suprised when i was reading Phils comment. I use architecturals since the beginning and i find it a very good program. I've invested a lot of time and of course money in it so i also would like to know if bricsys will develop it in the future. If not, i will be forced to buy an other application witch will be kept up-to-date. Architecturals is an application that works fine like it is, but if it won't run on V8, all the benefits of the further development of Bricscad would be useless for me because i will have to stick with V7. In the long run there will be other applications that will be more suitable for me.I would like also that bricsys takes a clear position about this subject.Thx in advance for some clarification.Jos Bex

• Future Architecturals development is one of the topics that will be discussed on an internal meeting scheduled end of next week. I will post a note here and keep you informed. Sincere thanks for your belief in this product.Hans De Backer

• Hi,I am still considering buying Bricscad Architecturals. Unfortunately, may be I should stick with Revit.JBJ, SCFC

• why unfortunately ?

• Porting of Architecturals to run on V8 requires a substantial amount of work. The V8 programming APIs were reimplemented to become fully Acad compatible, and as such e.g. require all string processing to use the UNICODE format. The porting is scheduled to be ready by the end of this year. Till that time, users of Architecturals will have to continue work on Bricscad V7.Kind regards,Hans De Backer

• Thanks Hans, that's useful information. It's good to know that Architecturals hasn't hit a dead-end. A new version of Architecturals around the New Year? A straightforward port across to v8 or any other likely improvements?

• It's a good news for the architecturals users.Let's hope also that the price of the new release will be affordable.Phil, wich improvements do you hope for architecturals? It's maybe the time to tell it for Bricssys.I'm going to think at that.RSTAS

• "The porting is scheduled to be ready by the end of this year. Till that time, users of Architecturals will have to continue work on Bricscad V7."Since we're now past the end of the year, I'm just bumping this topic. Hans, how's it going?

• The architecturals upgrade is for the first quarter of this new year. That was told me some weeks ago.RSTAS

• Will we be notified when the new version is available because we can't see the latest version anymore on the new website (wich looks good)?

• If you click on "country" above, you choose a country, then you enter in the old website with all things about architecturals (movies, ...).I imagine this new (nice) website is not complete ...Hope this help. RSTAS

• We had to postpone the porting for Architecturals to Bricscad V8 till end October 2008. The commitment to port to Bricscad V8 is assured, as we said before. I know this is not the good news our Architecturals users are expecting but we decided to postpone in favour of additional development on Bricscad V8 first, a decision all Bricscad/Architecturals users will be profiting from. Until then of course we support V7 for our Architecturals users.We sincerely apologise.

• Sorry but i must say what i think ...It's simply disappointing.Are Architecturals users less than V8 users ?I have spent a lot of time for trying to control Architecturals (a powerful program) Now i see that Architecturals is a burden for Bricsys.And what about the price of the Architecturals upgrade in end of 2008 ? Will it be affordable ? Well, a lot of uncertainty for the future ...

• Hmmmm... ...yes indeed, disappointed here too. Are Richard and I the only two Architecturals users worldwide?The delay - what, a year or so now? - wouldn't be quite so annoying were it not for the fact that so much screen space has been devoted to telling us how much better Bricscad v8 is than v7.Architecturals is a very fine product; I can't imagine what prompted its effective sidelining like this.

• Architecturals is one of the products that we are most proud of and indeed it is a fine product. Our Architecturals customers are precious to us. The "Architecturals V8" update will be free of charge for them.And we'll do everything we can to get it ASAP running for you.

• Thanx for the eplanation. I'll wait for the architecturals V8 update till october 2008.Now, another question. Will the same problem happen again with V9 Bricscad version, etc... ? Or will the architecturals update able to run under all the following version of Bricscad (V9, etc...) ?

• Any chance we can have the UK prices back please?

• The porting of Architecturals is a major change because Bricscad V8 is totally rewritten based on the new DWG Direct libraries of the ODA. This makes the porting to Bricscad V8 a serious job. Next versions of Bricscad will not require the same kind of effort for having Architecturals run on it. On the contrary, we are preparing Bricscad V8 to make it the platform for hundreds - maybe thousands - of applications: we enable a "no hassle" porting of AutoCAD based applications towards Bricscad Vx. Consequently once an application is running on Bricscad V8 we always will minimise the effort required to upgrade to the next Bricscad Vx. And that goes for our own application - Architecturals - as well.

• Andy,Is is that the famous "English humor" ? ;-)

• Not intentionally. I was expecting a UK page but finally found a price on the international pages.I am very tempted but it is quite an outlay for the sort of work that I do.It's a shame that there is very little in the way of user opinion or reviews in the outside world - maybe it's just Bricscad's best kept secret :)Good to hear their intention to keep it going though.

• Andy:-I'm a one-man architectural practice (mainly community projects and social housing) based in York - I'm aware Architecturals is little-known in the UK. Whenever I mention it to other design professionals they do this "ooooooo, what's that then?" routine.I started using BA about, I'm not sure, 8-9 years ago when it was a much earlier version. Despite being less stable then, it completely revolutionised my approach to design, allowing me to switch to working in 3D in a very straightforward way (I'd been using AutoCAD LT previously), while still easily generating and updating 2D views. It's been refined steadily since then and is now better-featured and much more robust. I use it alongside Artlantis (for rendering) and the combination produces results that never fail to impress clients - especially given the small size of my practice, the type of work I do and hence the limited budget. Bricsys have never seemed to successfully push Architecturals in the UK, but that doesn't make it any less good a product. I just wish they'd get it ported to Bricscad v8 a bit quicker ;o)Phil BConstructive Individuals, York UK

• Just bumping this back up the list as Bricscad v9 is about to be released - what's the timescale for the porting of Architecturals - are we still looking at this October?

• i am also interested in some news about architecturals.

• Come on fellas... ...you're picking up questions about the colour of the command line background but not about the future of "one of the products that we are most proud of" - priorities? Us Architecturals users are a really, really patient bunch, but....

• I'll add a 'me too' to that as a new user - thanks Phil for your very informative post earlier.I'm not an architect but do a lot of measured surveys and similar. Possibly overkill for such tasks but it does cut down on drawing time.

• No probs Andy. If we can keep having a chat about it, it might stay near the top of the threads and someone at Bricsys might talk to us ;o) Hans? Erik? News?

• I've just read the explanation from Erik about bricscad and intellicad, but we still don't have a recent answer about te future of architecturals.

• Your question is not unnoticed. I'll come back on this very soon.erik

This discussion has been closed.