Bricscad for Linux alpha

Hello all,  

I am one of the developers working on the Linux version.  
Many of us have been working very hard to get an alpha version, until this very day.
Today we can present you a proof that we are almost there.

Erik already mentioned a few hours ago we didn't make it.
A few stubborn guys even tried to proof him wrong with some patches in the meantime, but that did not work out...
Do not expect to do anything useful yet, but feel free to be thrilled with a first native Bricscad runtime on Linux.  
I know I am :)

Hereby we present you with a download link of the latest debug build AS IS.
About the only thing that does work without crashing is the about dialog.
Opening a dwg fails since we did not manage to correctly set up the main drawing window yet.
The application crashes as soon as anything is drawn on the main drawing window.

Nevertheless, I hope it can convince all of you that we are almost there.
I think it will be obvious for anyone with a little technical experience on Linux.  

You can download the zip file here:
http://www.bricsys.com/open/common/download.jsp?p=B4L&l=en_US&site=1
unzip the file and run the shell script bricscad.sh

Kind Regards, thanks for your patience and have a wonderful party tonight!
Tijs

Comments

• Sigh.... it's for 32 bit only, on my Ubuntu 64 (even with 32 bit libs installed) it misses many libraries.

Ciao

Max

• Yeah I have 64bit madriva2010.

It not will be 64bit version off bricscad?

• And for future pleas use tar. bz or tar.gz with one inside directory like bricscad_version.

And for your future planig suport  openGL/ openCL?

• (bricscad:5961): Gdk-CRITICAL **: gdk_drawable_get_depth: assertion `GDK_IS_DRAWABLE (drawable)' failed
    Chyba segmentácie

Jeah it is very alpha stage of projekt ( without any command butons )

• Alpha is still Alpha - which is fairly exciting. We have something we can download and see.

Also, in Erik's post in the new release thread, the best news is that we can be looking for updates even weekly.

While like many I am eagerly waiting for the full working version, we can see that we are getting much closer.

Many thanks to the Bricsys staff.

• OK, this is a real proof of committment, and as such already an upbeat start into 2010.

However, IMHO, the released material nourishes a number of questions and doubts rather than the expectation to see a mature application in the near future.
    Apparently (looking at the included/required libs), Bricsys is following an all-at-once development strategy: all bells and whistles already attached, while the application isn't even capable of opening the main window. I'm not a programmer and can not judge this, but a more incremental approach would have seemed preferable to me.
    My preferred appetizer would be a very basic dwg-viewer that takes a filename as an argument and displays it in a plain X11 (perhaps OpenGL) window, using only the mouse buttons to zoom around. This could act as a testbed/showcase for the base technologies and be at the same time useful enough to attract much attention (or even become a standard part of the major Linux distros, if given away for free). If the lacking functionality would be added in iterations (first the cli, than lisp, than other api ...finally the gui), the program could be stable and performant before going into beta, with download-sizes starting small and gradually increasing.
    The way it seems to be heading, I fear I will have to download gigabytes of alphas and betas, just to discover that each version runs perhaps 3 seconds longer than the previous before crashing... (hope they'll prove me wrong).

Some other first impressions:
    - will it really be possible to build a professional CAD-system on pango/cairo (sure it'll look nice, but what about display performance)?
    - on my debian stable, besides the usual stuff, libxerces/icu weighing about 20mb had to be installed
    - will the advanced lisp-interpreter that found its way into bricscad v9 be part of it? At the moment you can't do (+ 1 2)
    - is the included (superheavy) libwxgui a special build, or couldn't debian's libwx(-dbg, 2.6.3.2.2-3) be used as well (to shrink the download a bit)?

(oh, don't get me wrong, I'm really delighted something happened at last)

• to: Knut Hohenberg

Yeah, I have same idea and same problem as you.  I´m not programmer,  I´m just site manager.

• to Knut Hohenberg,

well, I'm not a bit fan ow wx either, but it's one of the few well tested multi-platform toolkits. About the "all-at-once" development, I think

it's quite common using a cross-platform gui toolkit, they first developed on windows, then ported to Linux.

What makes me wonder is the state of the alpha version... having a cross-platform lib AND a stable windows release, I'd have expected a

more complete alpha version.... I just hope that they've just a couple of blocking bugs before a semi-stable (usable) version appears.

Again, I don't know very well wx, but I'm using another cross-platform gui/library (Ultimate++) which makes the porting as easy as

recompiling on different os, almost no changes needed on source code.... I start thinking that wxwidgets require some more (hard) work

for porting. Or (and I hope to be wrong....) the windows version uses too many platform-dependent stuffs.... In that case I'm afraid we'll

have to wait a couple of years more to see an usable Linux version.

Ciao

Max

• I am using x86-64 (opensuse 11.2 x86-64)

When I run BricksCAD I got an error

BricksCAD> sh bricscad.sh
    ./bricscad: error while loading shared libraries: <PathToBricsCAD>BricksCAD/libwx_baseud-2.8.so.0: file too short

I can not mention how to fix this
    Then I install opensuse x86 11.2 in VirtualBox
    and try to run BricsCAD there
    first of all I got an error with libxerces so I install it 
    > zypper if libxerces-c-3_0Loading repository data...Reading installed packages...Information for package libxerces-c-3_0:Repository: @SystemName: libxerces-c-3_0Version: 3.0.1-5.1Arch: i586Vendor: openSUSEInstalled: YesStatus: up-to-dateInstalled Size: 3.6 MiBSummary: Shared libraries for Xerces-c - a validating XML parserDescription:Xerces-C is a validating XML parser written in a portable subset ofC++. Xerces-C makes it easy to give your application the ability toread and write XML data. A shared library is provided for parsing,generating, manipulating, and validating XML documents. Xerces-C isfaithful to the XML 1.0 recommendation and associated standards ( DOM1.0, DOM 2.0. SAX 1.0, SAX 2.0, Namespaces).This package contains just the shared libraries.
    > zypper lr -d |grep "openSUSE 11.2-0"
    1 | http-download.opensuse.org-e386355f | Updates for openSUSE 11.2-0 | Yes     | Yes     |   99     | rpm-md | http://download.opensuse.org/update/11.2/                       |
    2 | openSUSE 11.2-0                     | openSUSE 11.2-0             | Yes     | No      |   99     | yast2  | cd:/// 
     I run as was described above
    BricsCAD> sh bricscad.sh
    ./bricscad: error while loading shared libraries: libxerces-c.so.28: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    and then I look what lib I have
    > ls -l /usr/lib/libxerces-c*
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 3768324 2009-10-19 18:53 /usr/lib/libxerces-c-3.0.so
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root      18 2010-01-02 11:52 /usr/lib/libxerces-c.so -> libxerces-c-3.0.so
    I think it should link directly to libxerces-c.so
    I made a link to libxerces-c-3.0.so
    >sudo ln -s  /usr/lib/libxerces-c.so /usr/lib/libxerces-c.so.28
    and got this error
    sh ./bricscad.sh
    ./bricscad: symbol lookup error: <PathToBricsCAD>BricsCAD/libwxgui.so: undefined symbol: _ZN11xercesc_2_825DOMImplementationRegistry20getDOMImplementationEPKt
  • Hello, this is the error when launching bricscad.sh:

error while loading shared libraries: libxerces-c.so.28: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

After installing " libxerces-c.so.28" the error is:

(bricscad:2803): Gdk-CRITICAL **: gdk_drawable_get_depth: assertion `GDK_IS_DRAWABLE (drawable)' failed
    Segmentation fault

My system is Ubuntu 9.10 i386

Thank's..

• As Alessandro Zerbetto, after installed ibxerces-c.so.28, i have this error:

(bricscad:2587): Gdk-CRITICAL **: gdk_drawable_get_depth: assertion `GDK_IS_DRAWABLE (drawable)' failed
    Segmentation fault (core dumped)

Fedora 12 i686

Ciao.

• Sweet! 12 years of searching and waiting finally looking like the real deal...

zoom... (^_^)

waiting with baited breath.

• Thank you:

While the program at this point seems to be in it's infancy, it is none the less a progress. Keep up the work, and hopefully 2010 will bring a class leading linux cad program.

PS. Please make a 64 bit version, the ram management is needed for Cad.

• well it opens... no menu, no icons, just the black screen and the command bar... then i get

(bricscad:23087): Gdk-CRITICAL **: gdk_drawable_get_depth: assertion `GDK_IS_DRAWABLE (drawable)' failed
    Segmentation fault

and closes...

yey....

• For Andrey Didencool

install this

ftp://ftp.pbone.net/mirror/ftp5.gwdg.de/pub/opensuse/repositories/FATE:/dbxml-2.4/openSUSE_10.3/i586/libxerces-c28-2.8.0-8.1.i586.rpm

then it works... using opensuse 11.2 x86_64 here too...

isaac

• Hi,

As Erick and Tijs mentioned this is still short of being an Alpha we can not yet judge the new Linux version as it is being made available just to satisfy our unrelenting thrist of knowing that there is something going on.  Having been a Bricscad user for several years now I am always pleasently surprised with the quality of the support and programming and the effort they put to please our needs.  I am sure we will soon see the Linux version running smooth and up to our expectations.

Thanks to the Bricsys team for this great effort to provide us with a usable program in a Linux Platform that will help us consider the possibility of setting up design and drafting teams running solely on Linux.  I do remember that before I decided for Bricscad because of their excelent Windows program I first approached the company because it offered the intend of eventually providing a Linux version, the wait has been longer than originally anticipated but I am sure the Bricsys team will make it worthwhile.  Thanks again, you just made our expectations of 2010 better.

Regards,

José

• Hi,

I've try the first Alpha, and it works... as Tijs said. Everything crash when you try to do something else than the "about" command line.
    The "zoom" command line pops a choice window, and it doesn't crash when you cancel it. Yahouu! Same for the "circle" command line etc...

Anyway, I'm proud to have he first release of the futur Bricscad for Linux.

Keep doing the great job guys!

• BTW :

I'm running the Ubuntu 9.10 on a 32bits architecture.

• I'm running the Ubuntu 9.10 on a 64bits architecture.

I solved the libxerces problem simply using package manager but after that I received this message:

./bricscad: error while loading shared libraries: libpth.so.20: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

libpth.so.20 is already installed in /usr/lib/libpth.so.20

then I make a symlink in bricscad folder but, of course, i received the message:

./bricscad: error while loading shared libraries: libpth.so.20: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64

So I try on my 32bit Ubuntu box (9.10 again): bricscad opens but no menu, no icons, just the black screen and the command bar and after the first click I received the message:

(bricscad:2587): Gdk-CRITICAL **: gdk_drawable_get_depth: assertion `GDK_IS_DRAWABLE (drawable)' failed
    Segmentation fault

I hope next testing releases fix problems for 64bit architectures and 32bit too.

Best regards

Matteo

• For Isaac Salgado

thank you in advise :) Now I got a little bit GUI before crash

For all

[code]

BricsCAD> sh bricscad.sh

[Debug] 09:28:39: ../../../src/gtk/glcanvas.cpp(318): assert "m_vi" failed in Create(): required visual couldn't be found

[Debug] 09:29:28: ../../../src/gtk/window.cpp(3055): assert "(m_widget != __null)" failed in Show(): invalid window

Segmentation fault

[/code]

I got this in opensuse 11.2 x86 (i run it in VirtualBox)

Didencool Andrey

• Hello Andrey, only to provide some consolation :-)
    I also get exactly the same crash, on 2 computers running Ubuntu 9.04 ... and even few others of our developers ...

We are investigating this problem to get it solved - as you can imagine, this problem is really a massive burden for ourselves :-)
    Will post investigation results here, of course.

Many greetings

• I wait the 64 bit release or at least the beta release (I hope that will become real). If you make it that will be great (there are years that I wait - 2004-2005 - i'm not shure may be before). If you need I can do the beta tester... (I'm already a user of BricsCAD linux version 6.0.0020. - beta also that one - it have some bugs).

Thank you, you're great!

Adrian

• Oh!

I had not seen this thread. I will install this application on my Ubuntu 9.10 32 bits immediately.

Thanks

• Hello everyone,

thanks for your interest in Bricscad for linux.  By now, a new version is available, at the same download location:

http://www.bricsys.com/open/common/download.jsp?p=B4L&l=en_US&site=1

Some notes about this version

- it is no longer a debug build, so it is a smaller download

- the 32bit libraries libpth, libxerces, libicuuc, libicudata were added to the zip file. As a result it should be possible to run this version on a 64bit system (at least on my 64 bit system it did run).

- opening or saving a dwg does not work yet, but drawing entities is now possible through the commandline

- at startup, close a few dialogs to ignore "this does not work yet" warnings

Kind Regards

Tijs

• Hi Tijs,

really much better :-)

Now it starts on my 64 bit without problems, and is possible to draw something by cmdline.

2 notes, maybe they'll be useful to you to debug :

1- Zooming by mouse wheel works, but only zooming in. If I rotate the wheel in either direction it still zooms in.

2- Drawing works, but nothing is displayed up to the end of the command, i.e., drawing a series of lines segments shows

nothing up to I terminate the command.

That's what I tested so far, but now I'm pleased of what I see !

Ciao

Max

• Just another (I guess easy to fix) stuff : giving a command by command line makes the keyboard focus to go somewhere else, so

I must click again on cmdline to keep entering input on it.

It crashed once, if you need some logs just ask !

Ciao

Max

• Last for today, a crash log running with --sync (it should show where the error arose) :

massimo@micio-hp:~/Downloads/BricscadForLinux-10.3.0-1-en_US$ ./bricscad.sh --sync
    /usr/lib/gio/modules/libgiogconf.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64
    Failed to load module: /usr/lib/gio/modules/libgiogconf.so
    /usr/lib/gio/modules/libgvfsdbus.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64
    Failed to load module: /usr/lib/gio/modules/libgvfsdbus.so
    /usr/lib/gio/modules/libgioremote-volume-monitor.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64
    Failed to load module: /usr/lib/gio/modules/libgioremote-volume-monitor.so

(bricscad:5141): Gdk-CRITICAL **: gdk_drawable_get_depth: assertion `GDK_IS_DRAWABLE (drawable)' failed

Ciao and thanx again for your efforts

Max

• Amazing!!

last update now work on ubuntu 9.10 64bit either 32bit.

I've the same observations as Massimo Del Fedele about the new release but I want to add one from my tests:

I found a tiny problem on 32bit platform using desktop effects (compiz fusion): display refresh doesn't work fine.
    all goes well if I disable desktop effects.

Very good job!

• Thanks for this nex version!

Multiples crash... I don't know if we have to list all the bugs?

Anyway, a short list of what's still bugging me :) :

1) When drawing lines, there is ghost hortogonals lines showing.

2) When doing line or circles I can't see the shape I'm drawing when I perform the command, i.e. 1st click, then 2nd click "in the dark". (as Massimo said)

3)Zoom with mouse whell problem as said by Massimo too.

4)Trim seems Alright to me.

5) "Space bar" act like "enter" in the command line

6) Crash on "move"

7) and so on...

Great job anyway. Tell us if you need bugs feedback at this stage of your works?

Keep doing the great job!

Cheers.

• These alpha builds are disclosed to allow those who are curious, to personally verify that we _really_ are working on a native Linux Bricscad version: we very much appreciated all your encouraging, hopeful and longing comments on this forum, so in return we want to give you tangible proofs of our commitment and progress, not just words.

We are aware that there are a ton of issues to be solved, in this stage it is too early to start reporting bugs, still: your readiness to help us make good progress is heartwarming. Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.