VBA

Do you have any idea why linux version of brics doesn't support vba and will it be soon? This might give me a chance for not working with microsoft.

Best regards.

Comments

• I really doubt they CAN, simply because it is a microsoft language. I remember reading that they were hoping to put in some kind of windows emulation for that type of software, but I am unsure. I am currently converting a VBA application into pure AutoLisp, and it's quite time consuming.

• VBA is not supported for Linux, because it is an implementation of Microsoft.

• And I agree with Daniel regarding LISP.

• What you're doing is also a piece of programming knowledge! What is gonna happen for just USERS !? I believe it is possible that is why I wondering when?...

• I'm actually still in school as a programmer, not an engineer, and this is the field I'm hoping to get into. And I'm sure it -is- possible but I'm letting you know it will probably be very unstable just because nobody (other than Microsoft) really knows how VBA works. I'm gunna see if I can find that original post.

• Well according to the release notes:

The BRX (Linux) SDK includes a "Windows Platform Emulation" layer which allows to use Windows-based developer source code to be used under Linux. The Windows Platform Emulation layer includes a wide range of functions, classes and interfaces fromnative (Ansi + Unicode) Windows C-Runtime and WinSDKnon-GUI MFC classes (CArray, CList, CString and many derivates)COM-based data types and data classes, and related utility functions (Variant, SafeArray, BSTR, CComBSTR etc.)

Unfortunately, that is pretty vague and doesn't really tell us if VBA will be usable..

• Oh wow I'm sorry I read that wrong at first. That's for actual developers so they can create C/C++ code that will work with it. So looks like probably no VBA.

• Daniel,

Thanks for the info, I have the same idea with you. In this point we need someone from brics in the forum. I will look forward for a clear reasonable response.

Best regards

• Dear All,
    just to take any doubt away - there will never be a chance to get VBA on Linux; simply, because it is MS, deeply combined with VB language *AND* COM ...

What we provide as "Windows Platform Emulation" is a first stage to support Windows based BRX C/C++ source code under Linux - providing some ATL + COM +MFC(nonGUI) + WinSDK functionality.

Specific documentation will follow on "BRX Linux" ...

A second stage may incorporate more COM stuff, but strictly related to the CAD-system's (Bricscad) COM objects.

Many greetings to all, Torsten

This discussion has been closed.