Hyperlink to a specific page into a pdf file located on my desktop

Hi,

I have created a hyperlink to a MText to an existing .pdf file located on my desktop. It is working -> it opens the file.

ex:   c:\Users\JohnDoe\desktop\file.pdf

But now I want to open it directly to a specific page. If I am addting #page=3 to the end of the hyperlink it simply doesn't open the file anymore.

ex:   c:\Users\JohnDoe\desktop\file.pdf#page=3

Any idea on how to get this done?

Thanks,

Emanuel

Comments

• From what I can find in the PDF doc's your syntax looks correct...

However, you might have to use a destination as opposed to a page, check out the link above, under the heading "Open a PDF file to a set destination"
  • Thanks Scott, but this is not helping me at all.... I haven't found a solution yet.
  • I don't think this can be accomplished using a hyperlink. A hyperlink links to a file and the operating system then decides which application should be used. The problem is that the file "c:\Users\JohnDoe\desktop\file.pdf#page=3" does not exist.

I see two alternatives:

Use Lisp code. But you cannot start the code from a hyperlink.
    [code](startapp " /A \"page=4\" \"C:\\Downloads\\pdf_open_parameters.pdf\"")[/code]

Create .js or .vbs scripts with the correct dos command line parameters for each page you want to open. And hyperlink to the scripts.
    Example of a .vbs script:
    [code]Set WshShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
    WshShell.Run """C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\AcroRd32.exe"" /A ""page=4"" ""C:\Downloads\pdf_open_parameters.pdf"""[/code]

• It looks like BricsCAD opening an attached hyperlink gets passed to the _URL command. If you _REDEFINE this command, you may be able to replace with your own command, per Roy's suggestions. however, you would need to parse the link provided first.

Regards,

Jason Bourhill

CAD Concepts

• Roy, the option #2 you offered does exactly what I needed. Thanks a million for the help!
  • Thank you for the feedback Emanuel.

I see now that the code in my first suggestion got mangled by the forum. Pointy brackets again...
    Here is a revised version without pointy brackets:
    [code](startapp "\"C:\\Program Files\\Adobe\\Acrobat 7.0\\Reader\\AcroRd32.exe\" /A \"page=4\" \"C:\\Downloads\\pdf_open_parameters.pdf\"")[/code]
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Click one of the buttons on the top bar to get involved!