V15

Downloaded and played with V15 for 5 minutes. I LOVE IT ! GREAT ! I'm not really in need of the 3D features but have worked with a number of different systems back since 1984 . I opened it and played with 3D and drawing generation, ahhh VERY intuitive. ( sound like Im a sales rep ) GREAT JOB GUYS ! I'm sure we will find some problems here as well but right now I'm impressed.

Comments

• Ditto Patrick ... there are several big improvements in v15
  • Looks like I may be able to scrap Sketchup Pro and use bcad as a (almost) one stop shop?
    "3D solids conversion to unfoldable sheet metal parts" and "Real time boundary detection" look really interesting!
    I'll bet the output from bcad is a little nicer as well!

Can a person bypass the ribbon if they find it not to their liking?

• enter RIBBONSTATE ... and see command preview list for available RIBBON* commands :-)
  • Congratulations!! Seems faster, polished and the ribbon is really nice!!
  • Ribbonstate is grayed out in my V15 Pro (cannot turn ribbon on under settings). Is this correct?
  • What are your own personal favorite improvements?

-Joe
  • 1. Dynamic Block Improvements
    2. Grip Edit Hatches
    3. Workspaces
    4. Document Tabs
    5. PDF Improvements

I'm still discovering and testing so my list could still change.
  •  Hi guys

We've only just opened it and having a look, but has anyone noticed anything odd happening with mtext when you open a dwg that was created in V14?  We have noticed that anything over about 7 lines of mtext and v15 puts each word on a new line. Still working out if there is a command/setting that needs fixing??
  •  I tested the V15 Beta a month ago, both on my WIndows 7 machine at work, and my XP machine at home.  Both were extremely buggy.   Now I see (apparently) that the released version of V15 does not run under XP.   That's a bummer.  My home machine is more powerful than my work machine, and I need a way to work from home.  I just don't want the hassle of doing another OS upgrade.    The home machine also boots Ubuntu 12.04.  But I can't see any V15 release for Ubuntu.  And I'm uncertain if they would let me use our license on two different OS's.  
  •  @ Donald Broussard
    Hi Donald,
    Here is one that I would add to your list: boundary detection.
    Just have a look at this video which explains it:  http://bricsys.tv/m/?new-in-v15---boundary-detection

Enjoy,   erik
  •  @Jim Canale,
    Hi Jim,
    Unfortunately we will no longer support Windows XP. Several licensed pieces of software - e.g. ACIS - don't support it any longer and that makes it almost impossible for us to continue with it.
    But the good news is that our licenses are allowed to be used on the OS of your choice. We will release BricsCAD V15 for Linux before the end of the year and then you can run it on Ubuntu if you want, or switch later to a more recent Windows version. The Mac will be added soon too. Hope this helps to ease the "XP pain" a bit.
    Best regards,   erik
  • Dear Jim,

the updated V15.1.05 still runs on XP ... but as Erik mentioned, it will get more and more difficult for the future.
    Personally, I also hesitated to switch from XP to Win 7 ... but only the advantage to use a x64 Win 7 alone is worth
    to do this, really.

In example, on same hardware, Win 7 x64 runs 10...20 percent faster than XP ...
    Many greetings !
  •  Hi guys

We've only just opened it and having a look, but has anyone noticed anything odd happening with mtext when you open a dwg that was created in V14?  We have noticed that anything over about 7 lines of mtext and v15 puts each word on a new line. Still working out if there is a command/setting that needs fixing??

I have not encountered this problem. I have checked several drawings that contain many MTEXT objects with many more lines than 7.
  • Anyone else noticing that V15 is a lot more resource heavy?

v14 runs wonderfully but v15 chokes up a bit for me after a certain point. (after a few extrusions, drawing even simple polys can become a chore)
    It just "feels" like there is a lot more running at startup this version.
    Also noticed slightly different behaviors in some things such as dm push/pull is acting strangely and I tend to need to use dm extrude in its place a lot more often than on v14 while doing a similar operation. (a sort of reversal).

So i guess my questions right now are:
    1. Is there a way to turn some of the new heavier features off for now? (open to suggestions) I'm mostly interested in using boundary detect and playing with solid unfold.

2. can I turn off workspaces feature that forces a different icon layout for each one? I would prefer to have my icon sets carry across to all workspaces as in 2014.

3. Am I imagining the different behaviors of push pull and dm extrude?

I really like where 2015 is pointing but it is perhaps a bit too soon for me to switch over.
    I'll have all day today to tweak things so hopefully some suggestions will float this way.
    B

• Bill, I can't help with your questions, but I do agree that there should be a way to select "classic mode" or "new mode" on most new features.  It is the tear-off flyouts on toolbars that are driving me crazy.  I have a flyout for drawing scales with 19 buttons that gets torn off just about every time I access it.  I never, ever want to tear off flyouts.  I'd really like to be able to lock toolbars in place, too. 

I also wish they would fix the graphics on start-up.  I see a proper full screen with all toolbars in place, then the toolbars go away and there is a command bar window in the upper left, then the toolbars come back.  They had a similar problem in beta #2 that happened any time a lisp file was loaded.  I would prefer that they just show the logo until they can show a complete display.

The MTEXT editor always bugs me, too, because it takes almost 15 seconds for first load.  15 seconds seems like an eternity when it is an interruption to your work flow.  I assume it is reading system fonts, but I don't really know.  It seems to me that whatever setup time MTEXT takes could be made a background task so MTEXT does not have the delay.  Setting up a new text style has two similar delays, one of about 8 seconds when the command is called and one of about 5 seconds waiting for the 'Font name' list to populate.  Granted I probably have more fonts installed than most people do, but my clients use many different fonts so I don't have much choice in the number of fonts installed.

I subscribe to the "first do no harm" concept, and I think programmers should, too.  Many of us spend many hours getting a user interface set just the way we want it, and we use it enough that muscle memory takes over and most operations become automatic.  Changing a user interface method can be very disruptive to work flow, and workflow disruption is never a good thing.  New 'features' are great, but not all new features add value for me and I'd like the option to turn them off if they don't fit what we do or if they slow our processes.  There are also times when a new feature looks valuable, but it is going to take time to make the transition from the old way to the new way.  In the middle of a big project is not the optimal time to make that kind of change, and I'd like to be able to activae the new function when its best for me.

Overall I really like V15, and I can't say enough good things about how the programmers are working to fix bugs.   
  • Dear Martin

Quote :
    "I also wish they would fix the graphics on start-up.  I see a proper full screen with all toolbars in place, then the toolbars go away and there is a command bar window in the upper left, then the toolbars come back.  They had a similar problem in beta #2 that happened any time a lisp file was loaded.  I would prefer that they just show the logo until they can show a complete display. "

Indeed, that ws annoying for us as well :-)
    And it has been fixed right now ... so I hope this fix will get into next BricsCAD version.
    Many greetings !
  • @ Martin
    Yep, the ability to bypass certain features, especially new ones, would go a long way towards matching software to machines.
    It could only help developers if one can say exactly where things get bad.

As far as the heaviness of the program... its still early and maybe the devs will be aware of it and hopefully be working on it.
    My machine is a newish i5 with 12 gigs ddr3. Windows 8.1 (yuk)
    2014 runs wonderfully but 2015 is not ready for my machine yet... or the machine is not ready for 2015...
    I might bump the video card in the meantime. Its on the todo list anyways.

The difference is night and day as far as my setup goes.
    Hopefully a tweak will be forthcoming.
  • ps
    Running in pro mode helps a bit even though I lose some functionality.

And...

Boundary detect seems to be tied to the dmextrude command which explains the modified behavior I noticed.
    I can definitely get used to that in a few days.
  • New Nvidia GTX 760 seems to have done the trick :)

I'm betting its the BIM module that adds the extra weight to the program.
    (semi educated guess)
  • In regards to performance, perhaps this is of some help:
    • Switching to the BIM workspace also turns on Perspective view. This will impact on performance (currently also makes pan an zoom difficult too). You can turn this off on toolbar (see screen grab attached).
    • You can use the command _REDSDKINFO to do a check on your graphics card. It generates a report on your card, and driver. If your video driver is out of date it may also offer a link to download the latest version.
    • V15 introduces two new variables called AntiAliasRender, and AntiAliasScreen (see release notes). Valid values are between 1 - 5 for both variables. Default value is 1, setting it higher will impact on performance.
    In regards to Workspaces (2D drafting, 3D modeling, BIM ...), these can be customised via the _CUI. Just browse to the Workspace tab. On expansion you'll see a group called On Switch. Any commands listed here will be run on switching to this workspace. You aren't limited to the workspaces provided by Bricsys, you can quite easily add your own, you can also delete any workspaces that you don't wan't

Regards,

Jason Bourhill

CAD Concepts 

imagetbPerspective.png
  • Dang Forum logged me out stopping this workspace screen grab from attaching.

Try again

Regards,

Jason Bourhill

CAD Concepts 

imagedlgCUI_Workspaces.png
  • When I read the release notes for v15, I recall it saying something about a PDF improvement.  But, I don't recall exactly what it said, and cannot find how to browse back to the release notes. (I have v14)

I just now did a drawing exported as a PDF, which had an embedded PDF showing a spreadsheet.  But, as it normally does, the text is quite grainy. And though I made the font large enough to make it readable, it looks unprofessional.

Does v15 fix the above problem?  How doe it?  Does it still pixelate the text, or does it bring it in as text?  Some of my PDF printer drivers do handle the embedded PDFs as text, and they look great.

-Joe
  • When I read the release notes for v15, I recall it saying something about a PDF improvement.  But, I don't recall exactly what it said, and cannot find how to browse back to the release notes. (I have v14).......
    -Joe

We print to PDF all the time. You can download PDF printers: either by Adobe Writer ($$) or something like PDF995, PDF-Exchange etc. for free. Also, don't cut and past graphics into BricsCAD, rather save them as .jpg files and insert them as a raster - it results in a better quality and you can do more in BricsCAD with the inserted raster than a pasted OLE.
  • Besides printing as PDF via PDF printer drivers, there is also PDF EXPORT (run EXPORT command) -
    this export has many options in settings dialog, to finetune appearance and quality.
    Many greetings !
  •  I do prefer the built-in PDF export feature, because it permits me to export the layers.  And, in general, it solves some of the other issues when I use the publish command to collect drawings from a variety of DWG files.

However, the low quality of an embedded PDF in a drawing has been a major problem for me, and often prevented me from using the export PDF.  I was hoping the problem was solved in ver 15.

-Joe
  •  However, the low quality of an embedded PDF in a drawing has been a major problem for me, and often prevented me from using the export PDF.  I was hoping the problem was solved in ver 15.

I always convert pdf files that are vectorized to DWG before inserting (using ToolPac from www.dotsoft.com).  I convert raster pdf files to png format before inserting.  I agree that imbedded pdf leaves a lot to be desired, but I think that that is more a function of the pdf format than anything that Bricscad does.   
  • Our IT manager refused to install the V15 release on my Windows 7 machine because the BETA was so buggy.  I decided if I wanted to evaluate it, I would have to install it on my home computer, under Windows  XP.    I'm not going to all the trouble and expense to update my  dual boot machine (XP and Ubuntu 12.04) , just for this.   I built this this high end machine in 2009, but it defied all attempts by me and other "experts" to get it to run UNTIL LAST YEAR, believe it or not.   And it runs fine now, so I'm not going to mess with it.  

Since we still haven't received the new keycodes for V15.  I tried the BETA keycodes.   The program booted up  just fine.   But a week later I went back to try it, and found that the BETA codes no longer work.  Worse, the V14 installation no longer runs on our V14 keycode.   What is Bricsys doing with licensing?
  • In regards to performance, perhaps this is of some help:
    • Switching to the BIM workspace also turns on Perspective view. This will impact on performance (currently also makes pan an zoom difficult too). You can turn this off on toolbar (see screen grab attached).
    • You can use the command _REDSDKINFO to do a check on your graphics card. It generates a report on your card, and driver. If your video driver is out of date it may also offer a link to download the latest version.
    • V15 introduces two new variables called AntiAliasRender, and AntiAliasScreen (see release notes). Valid values are between 1 - 5 for both variables. Default value is 1, setting it higher will impact on performance.
    In regards to Workspaces (2D drafting, 3D modeling, BIM ...), these can be customised via the _CUI. Just browse to the Workspace tab. On expansion you'll see a group called On Switch. Any commands listed here will be run on switching to this workspace. You aren't limited to the workspaces provided by Bricsys, you can quite easily add your own, you can also delete any workspaces that you don't wan't

Regards,

Jason Bourhill

Thank you for the guidance and patience w/ my issues.

Yes, most of my issues were solved in the "On Switch" section.

The new video card is allowing me to do more as well so that was also part of my problem.

I am now happily customizing away with the new workspaces. VERY NICE! :)

One last question if I may...

Maybe I'm tired but its not obvious to me where the new materials library will be found?

CAD Concepts 

•  I have made several attempts to post this today.  I don't know what is causing the problem. I press "'post" but nothing happens.  Actually it is not uncommon to get delay of half a minute or so, but today the delays have been over 10 minutes.

@H Martin Shoemaker:
    I always convert pdf files that are vectorized to DWG before inserting (using ToolPac from www.dotsoft.com).  I convert raster pdf files to png format before inserting.  I agree that embedded pdf leaves a lot to be desired, but I think that that is more a function of the pdf format than anything that Bricscad does.    

In my case, it is a PDF of an Excel spreadsheet.  So, it is almost exclusively text.  I have also tried using a raster image, and can make the resolution high enough to make the PDF output acceptable visually, but then the file size swells. When I use some PDF printers, the text stays selectable text in the PDF. So, the rasterization is not a requirement for when you convert to a PDF.  I may have to abandon the native PDF export, because we now use Excel spreadsheets in all our large projects.

That is why I am investigating the current method of the PDF export for embedded PDFs in v15.  If it just makes the embedded PDF output better by increasing the resolution of its rasterization, then that will not be acceptable to me because of the file size issue.

-Joe
  • @Joe Dunfee, why aren't you using copy/paste of excel sheets to BricsCAD as native dwg table entities? Are you encountering formatting problems?
This discussion has been closed.