Start "Descoder myapp.prv" in Win 10 Explorer

With "FileTypesMan" from "Nirsoft" I made a fileextension and intended to compile a PRV to DES via doubleclick. Here is the command extract from FileTypeMan:

Descoder starten Descoder starten Ja Nein 01.05.2017 14:14:29 "C:\Program Files\Bricsys\BricsCAD V17 de_DE\DESCoder.exe" "%1" C:\Program Files\Bricsys\BricsCAD V17 de_DE\DESCoder.exe Nein HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Autolisp-Projekt\Shell\Descoder starten\Command Nein DES Encoder 2.6.0.0 DES Encoder for Standard Lisp Files TM-CAD Engineering

The problem is:

• I saw all the entries in the contextmenu and the icon is OK too, but it starts only the dialogue of descoder and does not compile the file via command-line.
  • When I open CMD-dialogue and type "descoder.exe myapp.prv", it is compiled as expected.

What is missing here?

Comments

• Hi, Peter,

hard to tell what & why the "FileTypesMaker" associates here, to get a strange output ...
    you might scan your Registry for ".prv" manually (regedit.exe), to see the associated command string there ...

Alternatively, you might create a small batch file (.bat or .cmd) containing that commandline, that should be fine as well
    (I also use that every day :-) )

hope this helps a bit ...
    many greetings !

• Hi Torsten

this is my registry:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\.prv]
    "BrowserFlags"=dword:00000000
    "EditFlags"=dword:00000000
    "PerceivedType"="text"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\.prv\DefaultIcon]
    @="C:\\Program Files\\Bricsys\\BricsCAD V17 de_DE\\DESCoder.exe,0"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\.prv\Shell]
    @="Descoder starten"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\.prv\Shell\Descoder starten]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\.prv\Shell\Descoder starten\command]
    @="\"C:\\Program Files\\Bricsys\\BricsCAD V17 de_DE\\DESCoder.exe\" \"%1\""

And this is my freshly created bat-file:
    "C:\Program Files\Bricsys\BricsCAD V17 de_DE\DESCoder.exe" %1

The result is the same: It opens Descoder-dialogue which displays me the last used PRV-file, not the PRV-file I clicked on ...???

• I think the key issue is that you are not using 'open'.
    This .reg works fine on W8.1 (use at your own risk, change the BricsCAD version to match your installation):

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.prv] @="prv_file" [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\prv_file] [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\prv_file\shell] [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\prv_file\shell\open] [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\prv_file\shell\open\command] @="\"C:\\Program Files\\Bricsys\\BricsCAD V16 en_US\\DESCoder.exe\" \"%1\""

• Torsten Moses
    edited May 2017

Hi, Peter,

as Roy mentioned (correct as usually !) - by default, double-click uses the standardised "shell/open" entries ...

Seems, those non-standard entry is created by "FileTypesMan" ?
    maybe, the command line needs to be
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes.prv\Shell\Descoder starten\command]
    @="\"C:\Program Files\Bricsys\BricsCAD V17 de_DE\DESCoder.exe %1\""

meaning, only 1 string, not separate strings for descoder.exe and the passed-in argument ?
    Also, as it seems to work to start descoder.exe - as you described, there is no commandline argument given to starting descoder.exe - resulting in dialog, with last-used file/project.

So double-click should indeed work with "shell/open" entry ... those others, extras likely need more investigations, why argument is not passed as commandline argument to descoder;
    personally, I have good results with the "Send To" menu entries as well - at least, those do pass the arguments ...
    many greetings !

• One problem (semi-)solved, next found.

• I had my PRV-files on a network drive -> behaviour described above
    • I moved it to a local file -> it starts to work, but it does not find the lsp-source: PRV stores the path of lisp-files relatively :-(
    • I modified the path to absolute and started it from local-drive -> DES is created as desired, but now PRV and DES are on local drive where I don't want them

I will return to the dialogue-driven compiling;I don't have that much to handle ..

This discussion has been closed.