BimAttachComposition

2»

Comments

• Thankyou Luis, that would make things a bit easier :)

• That's cool !
    I was currently trying to put that information into RT Tips.

With riskiness of variable thickness, do you mean error prone because of
    loosing oversight or Software related problems or risks.
    Because, if you get a design to model, with variable setting you can keep
    clients funny Wall thicknesses easily by keeping Compositions low.
    Very handy.

Opposed to faking by reducing to a suitable amount of thicknesses and being
    forced to do design decisions.

• @Michael Mayer said:
    That's cool !

>

That's uber cool.
    This way you will also immediately see that 40% of your Walls have incorrect
    Thicknesses, slightly off, from drawing over the 2D plans .....

• Tom Foster
    edited January 2018

@Michael Mayer said:
    And there is Bricscad BIM (also FormZ) that has a completely different approach
    by using simple Solids. Which I find very pleasant and more future proof.
    And its at its beginning.
    So I do not wish Briscscad to go in this old school direction and just deliver the
    usual convenience tools.>

Absolutely!

BRICSBim is a godsend that allows me to model my kind of buildings in BIM. That is, with option to go far from rectilinear, in both plan and section (note this is fully disciplined geometrically, not amorphous 'draw by hand', nor the kind of geometric extravagant curviness of Hadid, Gehry etc).

How much time did I waste in one of those 'all the other BIM's, before proving conclusively that even with monstrous workarounds I couldn't model in BIM, for instance the archetypal MacDonalds two-pitch hipped roof design, let alone others far more interesting. With such geometry, you soon run out of allowable BIM methods to intersect planes. No problem whatsoever in BricsBIM.

It became obvious that 'all the other BIM' cos take lots of advice from Architects on 'what architects need'. But which architects? Only the big multi-seat ones - and what they need the geometry-creation bit of BIM for, is near-automatic layout and documentatiion of vast swathes of rectinear interiors and exteriors of multi-storey offices and single-storey retail sheds. For that, as

@Lorenzo said:
    A good solution is what ArchiCad do: they have special objects for walls, slabs and roofs and in the "properties menu" you can always adjust height, thickness, angle, reference axis (for walls)>

etc, 'all the other BIM's are ideal 'productivity tools'.

BricsBIM has its sights set very much higher.

• Michael Mayer
    edited January 2018

I totally agree.

But I am a also friend of rectilinear Architecture as it is the most effective.
    I think it wouldn't be wise to neglect that main 95% workflow.
    E.g. Bricscad Windows are very interesting and many Vectorworks users would
    die for the option to draw a Polygon on a Wall and make it a Window.
    But I currently think I am multiple times faster to create parametrical Window
    Style with fixed Sill Height but flexible width, to provide dozens of Windows
    easily, than defining Sill Heights again each time.
    When Walls and their Components are linked to Story Levels Heights, Slab Plies
    automatically find their Wall Connections, Wall Joins will not brake when you
    switch to another Wall Style and you keep control over Wall Justifications.
    All these things make it uber fast in 80% of all situations.
    It is indeed interesting how often it will fail even in my simple rectilinear Projects
    and you need to take manual control.
    :smile:

But I also want Bricscad Solutions for it.
    Not a direct user-wish-feature-implementation, like, here is your Window
    Sill Height setting option.

Currently in Bricscad you have to rely on BIM Drag keeping all connections when
    you have to change the height of a story. That doesn't always work for me.
    And BIM Suggest sometimes does decisions I don't really understand, too.
    (Especially where more than 2(different) Walls join at 1 point)

One difference between direct live modeling and parametric history based
    Systems I see as files get crowded, in a parametric system you do settings in
    idle, press OK and then wait if needed.
    In Bricscad, if the connections get more, BIM Drag starts to lag.
    And it is all about the CAD Basics when AI starts thinking and working,
    will View Navigation, Snapping, Selection and OpenGL be still able to follow
    and stay snappy.
    Otherwise it is prone to error and wrong user inputs.

• Michael Mayer
    edited January 2018

@Pieter Clarysse said:
    Meanwhile, a quick note about how the program decides this in the current release: the face which is farthest away from the geometric center of the entire dwg is considered the outside. The distance is measured as the distance from the center of the model to the plane of the face. This means that for the 2X2.dwg attached on this thread, the composition-attaching must have been done in steps, while solids were still being added. If you select all in that dwg, then Unclassify (which removes all BIM stuff from an entity), then select all again and drop the composition on the selection set, the inside and outside will be defined by the distance to the center of the dwg.

This doesn't work really well for me in most cases.
    Not much better as if wall directions would be completely random.

An easy example would be just a simple L-shaped Building.
    (So the center of gravity is outside of the building)
    Or in my case a mainly rectangular building with some extensions
    like staircases docked from outside.
    (When these not located to the middle of the DWG center of gravity)

This discussion has been closed.