Ok I’m confused ...

BricsCAD’s LISP impmentation is simply outstanding — and speedy — down right snappy compared to OtherCAD.

Growing fonder of BLADE every day despite being married to UltraEdit for > decade.

So how come this place isn’t crawling with LISPers?

Comments

• the Lisp engine now is quite the same like Autocads Autolisp works.
    There are several developper forums where to get in touch with a lot of developper guys.
    I guess as more Users find out this brand new BLADE and going developping on this as more you'll find here .
    But if u got an question or an problem you are right here also

• @Martin Drese said:
    There are several developper forums where to get in touch with a lot of developper guys.

I suppose. Just makes more sense to me to spend some time here to support & promote the product directly.

I guess as more Users find out this brand new BLADE and going developping on this as more you'll find here .

Perhaps, let's hope.

But if u got an question or an problem you are right here also

:nodding:

Cheers.

• Many of the people who frequent theswamp.org check in here regularly.

I think the reason things aren't more active here are (1) the forums here are not as well optimized for programmers and are not as easy to use as those at theswamp or AUGI, and (2) there are still a lot of companies who think they have to use "real Autocad", so their programmers have no reason to come here. Lots of inertia with Autocad that has to be overcome.

• rwills2691
    edited March 2018

I am not sure about being optimized (as to what that might entail in your mind), but this forum could use screen wide pages. We are not on IPADS or phones.. we use computers. Likewise, every post should have its date and hour posted. Talking to someone a year ago is usually futile. Then as well, there is no way to post code as an embedded caption.

Rick

• @H Martin Shoemaker said:
    Many of the people who frequent theswamp.org check in here regularly. I think the reason things aren't more active here are (1) the forums here are not as well optimized for programmers and are not as easy to use as those at theswamp or AUGI, and (2) there are still a lot of companies who think they have to use "real Autocad", so their programmers have no reason to come here. Lots of inertia with Autocad that has to be overcome.

Good points.

(1) Truth. Forums by programming language would help a lot. Forum software makes a difference too. smf and phpbb are generally good. I think even the stripped down punbb might be better than vanilla. On the surface vanilla is an attractive forum but it's lacking imo (I installed it on one of my sites awhile ago and then junked it). I say that despite liking markdown.

(2) true tho the change is coming -> I'm hearing more & more 'desk dissatisfaction, notwithstanding bricscad is getting better & better by leaps & bounds.

@rwills2691 said:
    I am not sure about being optimized (as to what that might entail in your mind), but this forum could use screen wide pages. We are not on IPADS or phones.. we use computers.

Personally I'm on a mix of devices, and the displays appear fine to me on all. :shrug:

@rwills2691 said:
    Likewise, every post should have its date and hour posted. Talking to someone a year ago is usually futile.

Fully agree.

@rwills2691 said:
    Then as well, there is no way to post code as an embedded caption.

Not sure what you mean "as an embedded caption", is this not adequate (wonkified syntax coloring aside):

(defun mpx-transpose ( matrix / elems result )
        ;;  (mpx-transpose '((0 1) (2 3) (4 5)))
        ;;      >> ((0 2 4) (1 3 5))
        ;;  (mpx-transpose '((0 1) (2 3) (4 5 6)))
        ;;      >> ((0 2 4) (1 3 5) (nil nil 6))
        ;; - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
        ;;  The classic (apply 'mapcar (cons 'list matrix))
        ;;  is unsuitable for my needs because data will be lost
        ;;  if any of the vectors are of varying length:
        ;;  (apply 'mapcar (cons 'list '((0 1) (2 3) (4 5 6))))
        ;;      >> ((0 2 4) (1 3 5))
        ;;  I need nil placeholders in the result:
        ;;      >> ((0 2 4) (1 3 5) (nil nil 6))
        (reverse
            (repeat (apply 'max (mapcar 'length matrix))
                (setq
                    elems  (mapcar 'car matrix)
                    matrix (mapcar 'cdr matrix)
                    result (cons elems result)
                )
            )
        )
    )

• @MP
    "Not sure what you mean "as an embedded caption", is this not adequate (wonkified syntax coloring aside):"

It is, except that my page is at a 1/3 the width of my screen, and it wraps the code to where it is difficult to read.

Then as well, I still don't see the function that you used to encapsulate the text. Obviously I need to learn something.

Rick

• I still don't see the function that you used to encapsulate the text

Click on the cryptogram that consists of two vertical lines with a blob attached to the top of the one on the left.

• The format paragraph! I never imagined that it could be there. Even when I opened it I had to stare at it for a bit. Thanks, now I know.

Rick

To see the full date of a message you can hover over the clock icon and time/date on the second line.

• Thanks, but I don't see any clock icons.

• In the header of each message, below the user name, there is a clock symbol (I believe it is a special character that may render differently if your browser does not load the required Google font). Hovering over that character or the time/date next to it will display the full time and date.

• I use FireFox v59. It doesn't show that icon. What is the name of the font that it needs?

• I have always had problems posting VBA code. There are certain marks that are misinterpreted by the Bricsys forum, so, that type of code has to be entered as standard text.

I have had one sort of problem or another with the forum over many years. I wish Bricsys would switch over to one of the more popular formats.

-joe

• Roy Klein Gebbinck
    edited March 2018

@rwills2691:
    I don't think FF v59 is the issue. On my system that browser does show the clock character. The Google font is defined in the CSS of the forum.
    Maybe this helps?:
    https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1187672

@Joe Dunfee:
    I think you are confusing the ' (single quote) and the ` (grave accent) character. The last is used for code in Markdown. But there are some things to look out for. If your code contains empty lines, using the grave accent will not work. In that case you should select your code and then choose 'Code' from the already mentioned Format dropdown list. Note that there then must be an empty line directly above the code. Inserting an empty line also has an impact on how 'grave accent code' is displayed.

Here is some VBA code:

' https://www.bricsys.com/common/support/forumthread.jsp?id=32147
    ' http://www.myengineeringworld.net/2014/10/send-autocad-commands-from-excel-vba.html

Dim app, doc

On Error Resume Next

Set app = GetObject(, "BricscadApp.AcadApplication")
    If (Err <> 0) Then
      Err.Clear
      Set app = CreateObject("BricscadApp.AcadApplication")
      app.Visible = True
    End If

Set doc = app.ActiveDocument
    If (Err <> 0) Then
      Err.Clear
      Set doc = app.Documents.Add
    End If

' To escape running command:
    ' doc.SendCommand(Chr(27) & Chr(27) & ...)

doc.SendCommand("_line 50,50 400,400  ")
    doc.SendCommand("(setq myLine (entlast)) ")
    doc.SendCommand("_circle 0,0 400 ")
    doc.SendCommand("_copy !myLine (entlast)  0,0 800,0  ")

Set doc = Nothing
    Set app = Nothing

• MP_
    MP_
    edited March 2018

The markdown engine also renders any text preceded by 4 blank spaces as a code block as is done in the following :

Function MSToStr(ByVal ms As Long) As String

Dim h As Integer, _
            m As Integer, _
            s As Long

s = Round(ms / 1000#, 0)
        h = s \ 3600: s = s Mod 3600
        m = s \ 60:   s = s Mod 60

Select Case ms
            Case Is < 60000:
                MSToStr = Format(ms / 1000, "0.000") & " secs"
            Case Is < 3600000:
                MSToStr = Format(m, "00") & ":" & Format(s, "00")
            Case Else:
                MSToStr = Format(h, "00") & ":" & Format(m, "00") & ":" & Format(s, "00")
        End Select

End Function

Cheers.

MP

• ... Apart from the alternating colors of the comments I would say the VBA code looks quite good.

• @rwills2691 said:
    I use FireFox v59. It doesn't show that icon. What is the name of the font that it needs?

That date line doesn't show in Firefox on my system either. But it does show in Chrome.

• Im using firefox 59.x and I see the clock symbol fine. Also views ok on my ipad / iphone toys. Must be the google font is (for some reason) not available on your systems. :shrug:
  • Steven_g
    edited March 2018

removed

• It appears the previous post may have broken markdown processing for this thread.

```
    this
    should
    be
    a
    code
    block
    but
    it's
    not
    ```
  • New test:

```
    this
    should
    be
    a
    code
    block
    ```

Still knackered. Appears vanilla is fragile.
  • I googled "Google font" and was told it's a library of 800 fonts. Does anyone know which one we need for this forum?

Usually a font has to be in my system Fonts folder in order to be used by any program, and then every program can use it (except for SHP fonts that I haven't used in the last two decades). I don't understand why Chrome can use a font that Firefox can't use. I don't see a Fonts sub-folder in the Chrome folder in Program Files.

code block seems to be working now

• seems to work here

this should be a code block
    I just copy pasted from your post

• flakey 
    forumware 
    is 
    flakey

• Here is an example of VBA that I could not format as code on another thread and I still cannot. I tried by pasting it, and then choosing the code formatting option.
    On Error Resume Next
    Set acadDoc = acadApp.ActiveDocument
    If acadDoc Is Nothing Then
    Set acadDoc = acadApp.Documents.Add
    acadApp.Visible = True
    End If
    On Error GoTo 0

Here is an example of VBA code that I can format as code, but the color coding gets messed up. I think that a carriage return is not sufficient to end the comment colorizing.

acadDoc.SendCommand ("(progn (princ \"" & commandString & "\") (princ))" & Chr(27)) 'No action just an echo.
    acadDoc.SendCommand (commandString & Chr(27))

-Joe

• Did you leave a blank line before the first code block,

On Error Resume Next
    Set acadDoc = acadApp.ActiveDocument
    If acadDoc Is Nothing Then
    Set acadDoc = acadApp.Documents.Add
    acadApp.Visible = True
    End If
    On Error GoTo 0

adding another comment tag at the end does the trick though it does show up,

acadDoc.SendCommand ("(progn (princ \"" & commandString & "\") (princ))" & Chr(27)) 'No action just an echo.'
    acadDoc.SendCommand (commandString & Chr(27))

• So, there may be work-arounds for problems with the forum. But, it may be 6 months before I need to post any code, and those works-arounds will be long forgotten.

-Joe

• NotesToSelf.Add("www.bit.ly/2tOfO13")

• I've been using the adesk forums since version 14 (not 2014) and tend to come here if something does not work on bcad, but does in acad. There are so few things though that I don't post much.
    Also, the history of code examples on the adesk forum is much longer so you would be crazy to avoid it and theswamp. Don't misunderstand though, I have lisp programs with tens of thousands of lines of code so the long timers are around. Torsten is working on the BLADE a lot too so we can cut the use of VLIDE if possible and further minimize our dependence on Autodesk.

• MP_
    MP_
    edited March 2018

I too (Michael Puckett) was a regular forumite at the desk forums for many years starting mid 90s before moving on to the swamp in 2004. As for VLIDE, after BASIS sold it and Autodesk let it languish I used Textpad for a long time -- until my LISP project size demanded something more robust -- UltraEdit -- my trusty ace for over 10 years. My sole remaining Autodesk dependence was their CAD engine -- but Briscsys has changed that game -- and how!

This discussion has been closed.