What is the best language to use to make a Mesh to Solid Converter ?

If I want to make a mesh to solid converter by identifying shapes by comparing points in space with mathematical formula for geometric shapes.
I don't know much at all about programming or what is compatible with BricCAD.
So all and any input is greatly appreciated.
I'm reluctant to go down the visual basic path because of Linux comparability (but I'm on Windows 10).
Would be good to be able to recruit the gpu (although I have no idea how do do that).

Comments

• I think that is a big task but would be very welcome.
    Indeed that would be uber cool to convert Meshes into clean Solids.
    Or even recognize that an N-Gon Shape should be a Circle, Cylinder
    or bent Cylinder. Or a curved Surface and such things ....

As far as I know Bricsys is also working on making stitching
    more powerful. Like when faces from different objects touch
    each other and such problems.

• Programming is the easy part.

Coming up with a robust algorithm to partition a point cloud into geometric primitives is hard. What is noise versus what is a feature that should be preserved? Does that cylinder have a degree or two of relief for mold release or is its surface perpendicular to the ground plane?

Don't worry about targeting a particular programming language or environment. If you want to tackle this, "code" it up in pseudo-code (natural language) that completely describes the problem and solution.

• @Richard Webb said:
    Programming is the easy part.

Coming up with a robust algorithm to partition a point cloud into geometric primitives is hard. What is noise versus what is a feature that should be preserved? Does that cylinder have a degree or two of relief for mold release or is its surface perpendicular to the ground plane?

Don't worry about targeting a particular programming language or environment. If you want to tackle this, "code" it up in pseudo-code (natural language) that completely describes the problem and solution.

I think the processing would be intense, but the principle and probably the code would be quite simple. Fine tuning it would probably be 100 times as complex though. First determine flat surfaces then view them from x and y and z and determine if they are round or elliptical approximations.

I get the feeling that LISP is not the way to go though.

• This is a late reply, but civil engineers commonly want to convert a TIN surface to a solid, assuming some "bottom" elevation.
    For one thing, you needs a solid to run the STLOUT command us 3d printerers want so we can make our project in plastic.
    The end result? Forget it in autocad. It involves making a bunch of prisms and doing unions. Our surfaces have 500k+ tris so that bogs down acad no matter the api used. We used C# (.net api) which is generally fast.
    Instead, I made a tool to go from TIN direct to stl file. I suspect other meshes will be similar and would recommend looking at other tools out there. Mesh to solid is a common need and its not easy based on how few tools do it.

• Roy Klein Gebbinck
    edited September 2018

I have written a Lisp 'wrapper' for the _DmStitch command. But this does turn meshes into faceted solids. And I don't think the OP wants that.

This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Click one of the buttons on the top bar to get involved!