No zoom during command

Hi,

First post here.
I can not zoom when I in a command.
I'm using a Mac with Bricscad pro version V18.2.27.

Greetings

Comments

• Which commands? How do you invoke the zoom command? If you use the keyboard you should prefix the zoom command with ' (the apostrophe).

• For example I'm drawing a line and I try to zoom in to a specific point by scrolling with my mouse.

• Can your mouse scroll in another application? Can your mouse have an issue?

• No, my mouse (and wheel) are working. When I'm out the command, I can zoom in and out.
    I'm using an MX Master from Logitech.

• I can confirm this issue. I would send a SR.
    In general I find that the Mac version does not become fully operational for production work. In fact, this pitfall is what prevents me from definitely switching from Windows to Mac. By the way, when will v19 for Mac come out?

• I got an email (info@bricsys.com) this morning stating that the Linux version of V19 is expected to be available in May. I didn't ask about Mac.

• Michael Mayer
    edited January 2019

I think the Mac Version came usually somewhere in February (?)

Ouch,
    didn't realize the zoom issue as I work with Pen Input and have no
    Scroll Wheel - I have to navigate with a 3D Connexion Device.

Same behavior on Mac (Mojave?) for latest v18 Shape and Bricscad ...

Edit : I filed a SR ...

• Yes I'm using Mojave.

• Michael Mayer
    edited January 2019

Do you by any chance use a Magic Mouse or another Wireless Device ?

As it was in reach I tested with my old Magic Mouse, as I am Wacom Pen
    Input only. I could reproduce Zoom not working, same for my Wireless
    Wacom Remote Sensor Wheel.
    But it works fine for me here with any other USB Mice I have access to.

• You are right, Michael. Wired mice solve this problem (Mojave + BricsCAD 18.2.27).

• That is extraordinary - any idea why?

• Could this be wireless interference between wireless products?

Take inventory of all the wireless devices and turn them off one by one to see if the suspected mouse comes back to normal operation. Don't forget WiFi routers, and even computers using their WiFi ports, most of which are on the 2.4GHz band.

• Yes but if it's interference that wd have a general effect on function - this seems to be just on one particular command - or is a problem with sending two 'commands' at once over wireless?

• @Tom Foster

Without electronic sniffing gear it's impossible to know what's going on at any moment. Wireless is inherently unreliable and is why they build in switching functionality so it can hop around till it finds an opening to transmit a signal. With enough wireless gear operating that hole in the spectrum gets more and more difficult to find. That's what interference is. One vendor's gear may be slower or less immune to the chatter other gear is putting out.

Personally, I'm getting rid of my wireless gear including WiFi routers. All they run are tablets, smart phones and mice because wireless is too damned slow for computer to computer communications unless you opt for very high frequency gear. All my machines backup their data nightly to a central server. With a wired connection it takes a minute or two per box. With wireless it takes seemingly forever. It's when I want a backup right now that I can't wait for wireless.

The next generation is higher frequency and with every increase in frequency the signal penetrates the human body just a bit more. We're all living in a microwave oven, but at low power. No one knows what that's doing long term.

• Tom Foster
    edited January 2019

Amen to that last para - and be branded a crank.
    Wifi is Off in this house, all cabled, no tablets or smartphones so no need.
    Phone signal has only just reached us, sadly.
    Even worse, BT having failed to wire Dartmoor for fast broadband, now Airband has the contract to do it by wireless. I stagger on with 1Mbps down the phone line - not a problem actually - no streaming here thanks.
    A physicist neighbour, after a lifetime in the phone industry, devotes his retirement to exposing what the phone cos know damn well. Shielding cd be built into every phone for £0.05p but they won't do it because it would be an admission that there's a problem.

• @Tom Foster said:
    Yes but if it's interference that wd have a general effect on function - this seems to be just on one particular command - or is a problem with sending two 'commands' at once over wireless?

Interesting too that other Apps aren't effected here.
    But Support is already looking into it.

• @Tom Foster

I'm an EE, so I respect antenna radiation. My wife and I have smart phones because you can't get a wired line on the island. I almost never put the phone to my ear, opting for speaker phone operation instead. My Internet connection is fiberoptic to the router and wired from there to my firewall. Every computer is wired except one and that's going to change. My 2Mbps beats your 1Mbps and for only US$140/mo.

As far as being branded a crank, I grew up in Queens, New York. My skin is as thick as rhino hide.

• @Michael Mayer said:
    Do you by any chance use a Magic Mouse or another Wireless Device ?

As it was in reach I tested with my old Magic Mouse, as I am Wacom Pen
    Input only. I could reproduce Zoom not working, same for my Wireless
    Wacom Remote Sensor Wheel.
    But it works fine for me here with any other USB Mice I have access to.

As I mentioned I'm using a wireless mouse MX Master from Logitech.

@Michael Mayer said:

@Tom Foster said:
    Yes but if it's interference that wd have a general effect on function - this seems to be just on one particular command - or is a problem with sending two 'commands' at once over wireless?

Interesting too that other Apps aren't effected here.
    But Support is already looking into it.

I agree, if it has anything to do with the wireless connection other programs should also be effected.

@RoatanBill said:
    @Tom Foster

Without electronic sniffing gear it's impossible to know what's going on at any moment. Wireless is inherently unreliable and is why they build in switching functionality so it can hop around till it finds an opening to transmit a signal. With enough wireless gear operating that hole in the spectrum gets more and more difficult to find. That's what interference is. One vendor's gear may be slower or less immune to the chatter other gear is putting out.

Personally, I'm getting rid of my wireless gear including WiFi routers. All they run are tablets, smart phones and mice because wireless is too damned slow for computer to computer communications unless you opt for very high frequency gear. All my machines backup their data nightly to a central server. With a wired connection it takes a minute or two per box. With wireless it takes seemingly forever. It's when I want a backup right now that I can't wait for wireless.

The next generation is higher frequency and with every increase in frequency the signal penetrates the human body just a bit more. We're all living in a microwave oven, but at low power. No one knows what that's doing long term.

It hink that people need to get used to the fact there are everywhere elector magnetic waves.
    Even FM and AM radio are electro magnetic waves.
    Until there is no prove that it has a negative effect on our body it wil be there and it will even increase.
    Look at cars that also have a radar in front.
    I'm not pro and not con. I just don't think about this kind of stuf.
    Els you can question if a BBQ is healthy or a car in general.

• As I mentioned I'm using a wireless mouse MX Master from Logitech.

Support is very creative finding temporary Workarounds :
    a)
    CMD+SHIFT+LMB Drag = life zoom
    (Unfortunately not cursor origin aware but View Center only,
    needs dragging to re-navigate)
    b)
    Holding CTRL, will interrupt the Command, and allows/forces
    scroll wheeling to zoom nevertheless, while in a command.

• Michael Mayer
    edited January 2019

Waves ?

At a quantum level, regarding electrons,
    matter, energy or waves - for me everything looks the same.
    Vacuum even not empty - so maybe everything IS just waves only.

Waves are everywhere. The higher the frequency, the higher their
    energy and so their interaction and potential damage.
    (UV, XRays, Gamma Rays)
    To bring things a bit in relation, our exposure to visible sun light
    may exceed human introduced electro smog a bit and is also at the
    more energetic side of the spectrum.

Neither pro nor con from my side either.
    (as long as it doesn't prevent from View Navigation ...)

• All very rational (and convenient, perhaps masking "I just don't think about this kind of stuf") - but there's def 'something' happening. I live with someone who physically feels, and knows, when a mobile phone is 'on' in the house, even if she can't hear it - a buzz/fuzziness which affects functioning. Others feel it far worse. Some scientifically minded people find ingenious ways to dis this - often insultingly so. Other scientifically minded people take such 'anecdotal' stuff as raw material for scientific curiosity and open mindedness. Lots of people also "question if a BBQ is healthy or a car in general" (and I keep right on doing it - well cars anyway).

• @Michael Mayer

Look up Bohmian Mechanics aka Pilot Wave Theory.

• @Michael Mayer said:

As I mentioned I'm using a wireless mouse MX Master from Logitech.

Support is very creative finding temporary Workarounds :
    a)
    CMD+SHIFT+LMB Drag = life zoom
    (Unfortunately not cursor origin aware but View Center only,
    needs dragging to re-navigate)
    b)
    Holding CTRL, will interrupt the Command, and allows/forces
    scroll wheeling to zoom nevertheless, while in a command.

Both are working but it is a little adjustment. Never less it would really help if they can fix the scroll weel issue.
    Thanks

• @RoatanBill said:
    .... I grew up in Queens, New York. My skin is as thick as rhino hide.

There's a guy I see on the news sometimes who also grew up in Queens, and his is thinner than onion skin.