Licensing Question

EULA clearly states install permitted solely on one OS, one computer.
Is there any allowance for transfer of license key from home workstation to laptop (when traveling)?
Searching here and the knowledge base (http://www.bricsys.com/common/knowledge/topic.jsp?id=272) only suggests "uninstall" & "reinstall".
Is there any type of License Manager (allowing the program to run only on one machine at a time), or similar (as other vendors' software) to address this issue?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Hi Robt,

You need to read a little bit further on in the EULA:

NO CONCURRENT USE

The SOFTWARE PRODUCT may not be shared or used concurrently on more than one computer. The foregoing sentence notwithstanding, the primary user of the SOFTWARE PRODUCT may install , on behalf of the single entity, one (1) copy of the SOFTWARE PRODUCT on either a single home computer or a single portable computer used by such primary user.

This section states you cannot use the software concurrently on more than one machine, but does allow you to use the software on another machine. Key is that use is not concurrent. This should cover you for the situation you describe.

There are network license options for Bricscad available, but these require you to have access to the license server, which may not be that easy if you are on the road.

Regards,

Jason Bourhill

CAD Concepts

• Ah, yes, there it is.
    Thank you Jason
  • Not to beat this topic to death, but looking at the verbiage of the EULA, and reading the "Migrate Bricscad" instructions in the Knowledgebase, it suggests that in order to transfer license to laptop, one must first uninstall from desktop, then reinstall on laptop, then enter license code. Migrating back to desktop requires the same procedure in reverse.
    This seems inconvenient at best, considering my frequent out of town business excursions.
    Comments / insights / personal experiences please.

PS: I've been trialing for almost 3 weeks now, and am sufficiently impressed (being an AutoCAD user since v13) that I'm considering breaking out the check book.
    I would just like some clarification on this issue. (I actually DO read, and try to respect EULAs)

Thanks, Regards all
  • The EULA is the controlling legal document.  Whatever is in the knowledgebase would be informational.  As long as you meet the specific paragraph of the EULA that Jason posted you would be in compliance.  It specifically allows installation on one "work" computer plus either a "home" computer or a laptop.  No license migration required in this situation.
  • Ah, but parsing the EULA posted by Jason:
    "may install one copy... on either a ...home computer or... portable computer..."
    It's the install on "either / or" clause that had me concerned.
    I am reassured by your "
    No license migration required in this situation."

Thanks, H. Martin S.
  • I think you are parsing a bit to severely.  The second sentence should be taken as a whole.  I still maintain that taken as a whole the EULA allows one computer at work plus either a home computer or a laptop, with the only conditions that they be for the same person's use and that they not be used at the same time.

Remember, EULAs are written by lawyers, not engineers or architects....
  • Interpretations abound... the language is unclear but my take on the NO CONCURRENT USE paragraph is it appears to have an implicit assumption the primary user has the SOFTWARE PRODUCT installed on a single system that is in a place of work that is distinct and separate from both the single home computer and the single portable computer. If that is true then the primary user is permitted a second installation on either a single home computer OR a single portable computer but not both.

Just the way I read it based on the phrase "The foregoing sentence notwithstanding,..."
  • @ Robt,

Suggest you raise a support request to seek confirmation on what you can or can't do. I would describe how you intend to use the software, and request confirmation that it meets with the intent of the license agreement. This should be a bit more definitive than a forum discussion, which at the end of the day just that.

Also good to here Bricscad trial is working for you. Best way to make an informed decision. If only the same method could be applied to other things in life :-).

Regards,

Jason Bourhill

CAD Concepts

• The lack of a 'network license' is a big DRAWBACK of Bricscad. Most other professional software (e.g. Sketchup, Powerdraft,..) possess a network licensing tool or mode where you can distribute licenses across your network up to the amount of licenses you're entitled to.

This means that the real cost of Bricscad can double if for example you have a maximum concurrent use of 50% on your network. Providing network license would be a huge customer value.

• @ Didier:
    http://www.bricsys.com/en_INTL/bricscad/licensing.jsp
    [i]4 Network license : Can be installed on every computer in one LAN (Local Area Network). Can only be used concurrently by a predefined number of users. Volume license : One Volume License key to be used by a predefined number of users within the organization.[/i]
  • 7 years later... Is there a working link, or can someone post a text where this information is confirmed?

I.e. use on multiple computers of one license without concurrent use?

• IMHO you can, even with a standard license.
    You are allowed to install and activate 1 License on 2 machines.
    (run one at a time of course. Like Desktop+Laptop)
    With internet access you can deactivate a license on a machine,
    so it is available again for another machine's activation.

Works well for typical machine upgrading.
    Not a real solution if you want to use Bricscad on on "many"
    machines and very often.
    And you will run into problems when you lose an installation or VM
    before you could deactivate the license.

• @Wiebe van der Worp said:
    7 years later... Is there a working link, or can someone post a text where this information is confirmed?

I.e. use on multiple computers of one license without concurrent use?

Hi Wiebe,
    This is referenced in the Bricsys-EULA. You will find this in you BricsCAD installation folder under "C:\Program Files\Bricsys\BricsCAD V19 en_US\Help\en_US". Unfortunately this isn't made available to view easily from within BricsCAD. For reference the clause related to concurrent use is as follows

NO CONCURRENT USE
    Unless you have acquired a network or volume license, the SOFTWARE PRODUCT may not be shared or used concurrently on more than one computer. The foregoing sentence notwithstanding, the primary user of the SOFTWARE PRODUCT may install, on behalf of the single entity, one (1) copy of the SOFTWARE PRODUCT on either a single home computer or a single portable computer used by such primary user.

Regards,
    Jason Bourhill
    CAD Concepts

• Michael Mayer
    edited June 2019

That is pretty new to me.
    The first thing I ask before I buy a Softwaqre is always - can I only
    install it on one machine - if so I am out. That is uninteresting.
    I did that for Bricscad too.
    I have decieded for Vectorworks (2 machines), Cinema4D (2 machinies)
    and Modo (everywhere in the past, everywhere with online check now)
    especially for those reasons.

And I don't have a notebook anymore as you can't do much in 3D with it
    and btw, currently my Trashcan Mac Pro is my "portable computer".

And I don't really get that contradiction as there still are 2 online Activations
    for 2 machines.

That is outdated.
    Not only today (single) users have more than 1-2 machines in use,
    they also use more than one kind of operating system.

• @Michael Mayer said:

And I don't really get that contradiction as there still are 2 online Activations
    for 2 machines.

That is outdated.
    Not only today (single) users have more than 1-2 machines in use,
    they also use more than one kind of operating system.

The problem is that it's not particularly well worded. Stand-alone license users can activate on up to two machines, provided that:
    1. The usage isn't concurrent;
    2. And that it is only utilised by the primary user.

Usage scenarios are Work PC / Home PC, Mac Laptop with install on macOS / Windows OS (bootcamp).

It is also important that users de-activate their license prior to changing machines, selling etc. The license activation stays bound to the machine until it is de-activated.

Regards,
    Jason Bourhill
    CAD Concepts

• I am save with 1. and 2. as a one man show.

And if not for 1. it was for testing and comparing between versions
    to file SRs. But normally I avoid that.

Yes the wording you quoted says clearly one machine only ....