Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

3D solids equivalent to Divide

Given 2 solids an unknown distance apart, how would one go about filling the space between them with a certain number of identical solids?

Think of this as two fence posts on the corners of a property and the task is to add X number of additional posts between them WITHOUT KNOWING ANY DISTANCE MEASUREMENTS.

My primitive solution is to draw a line between the original posts, center to center on the XY plane and then use Divide to place evenly spaced points on that line to use as destinations for a copy using the Manipulator's 'r' capability to sweep across the line.

Comments

• edited July 27
    : ARRAYPATH
    Select entities to array: 
    Entities in set: 1
    Type = Path,    Associative = Yes
    Select path curve: 
    [ASsociative/Method/Base point/Tangent direction/Items/Rows/Levels/Align items/Z direction/eXit] <eXit>:me
    Enter path method or [Divide/Measure] <Measure>:d
    [ASsociative/Method/Base point/Tangent direction/Items/Rows/Levels/Align items/Z direction/eXit] <eXit>:it
    Enter number of items along path or [Expression]: <20>: 6
    [ASsociative/Method/Base point/Tangent direction/Items/Rows/Levels/Align items/Z direction/eXit] <eXit>:

• There is no path curve. All you have are two solids.

The method I outlined uses a crutch to allow DIVIDE to do the heavy lifting. I'm looking for something that can do it without creating a phony element.

Does such a method exist? That's the question!

• When prompted for the total distance pick two points. You only need 1 solid. You may need to align your UCS first.

: ARRAYRECT
    Entities in set: 1
    Type = Rectangular,    Associative = Yes
    [ASsociative/Base point/COUnt/Spacing/COLumns/Rows/Levels/eXit] <eXit>:r
    Enter the number of rows or [Expression]: <3>: 1
    Enter the distance between rows or [Total/Expression]: <75>: 
    Enter the incrementing elevation between rows or [Expression]: <0>: 
    [ASsociative/Base point/COUnt/Spacing/COLumns/Rows/Levels/eXit] <eXit>:col
    Enter the number of columns or [Expression]: <4>: 6
    Enter the distance between columns or [Total/Expression]: <75>: t