Searching DWG files for where a block is used?

2»

Comments

• @Joe Dunfee
    Wait, you are on V14, linux only, and have preferences on programming for CAD?
    Getting a windows machine set up, and using .net (C# please) should be trivial for you.
    Bricscad should be your dream platform as its all waiting to go, and 1/5 the cost of acad.
    You gotta drink that water we led you to ;)

• James, you've created a composite person out of two real people.

Joe has been doing cad work since about Autocad v1, so he's probably not on linux. And he's not a professional programmer, just a cad user who needs to customize sometimes.

Bill is a retired software developer who knows 22 languages. He's new to cad, so he's probably not using v14. He's been on linux since 1999. Was there even a Linux version of Bricscad 14?

Joe and Bill both don't like lisp; but who does?

• @Anthony Apostolaros
    Hmm, Bill just seemed like an average Joe to me :)
    Thanks for the correction.
    My son in high school works at ralphs, and wears a badge saying "I like Mathematics", because they forced him to pick something.
    If I take that awesome job someday, mine will say "I like Lisp" just to freak them out.

• Anthony Apostolaros
    edited March 2020

I was just kidding, of course, about nobody liking lisp. Most of the people who use it seem to think it's great. And my dislike of it isn't lisp vs other languages. It's "why do I have to program at all?" I want to draw, not write code.

But I started using lisp almost immediately after I started using Autocad, just because it seemed like everything worked the opposite of the way it should. They made it easy to do things I had no use for, and harder to do the things I wanted to do. It was like living in Bizarro-World.

After 7 years of that, I switched to Vectorworks, when they started making a Windows version. I used that for at least 8 years and never felt the need to change anything. I just added a keyboard macro program for repetitive tasks. The same goes for Sketchup, which I've been using for the last 20 years in combination with VW and then Brics. With Sketchup I don't even use macros.

I love mathematics. Especially geometry.

• Same here.
    Most people prefer and value an OS and Apps with a graphical user interface,
    that hides the distracting stuff, to allow them to do their main work as easy as
    possible.
    I see programing options and even using scripts as just a workaround for
    where the App, UI or GUI failed to do their job.

In a larger architectural office, their may be one or a hand full of architects
    or even a CAD manager or programmer that (also) have fun preparing things
    like lists and tables or scripts for the whole office. The majority is happy to
    not have to deal with that distraction.
    There may be CAD users from more technical businesses where the distance
    between their main work and programming is smaller and more familiar.

Most architects prefer to work with advanced GUI Apps like Vectorworks,
    Archicad, Sketchup, .... while technical engineers may feel more familiar with
    Autocad and similar.

• @James Maeding said:
    If you were on windows, this discussion would be over. You use free VS and .net api, and get the best ...

It was the lack of decent dialogs that drive me away from Lisp. The DCL option was better than nothing, but that's all. For the past ten years we have been rewriting functions first done in lisp, especially those with dialogs. Still have 970 KB left to do. As for Windows only we don't mind since (last time I checked) it is 85% of the Desktop PC market.