new version

A question below regarding the status of Bricscad for Linux seems to have been overlooked by the Bricsys folk. Could you please let us know what's happening with the planned native Linux Bricscad? Thanks.

Comments

• We're still heading for a native Linux version, based on the new Bricscad V8 technology. We plan to ship this product in the first half of next year.Mark Van Den BerghBricsys

• Thanks for the update. In my opinion, the linux/unix world is seriously lacking a good CAD program. You could grab that market. - It seems that one of the most often mentioned reasons (on the linux boards) for people keeping Windows is to run AutoCAD. Wouldn't it be nice ...

• I agree. The lack of a good CAD program is that keeps my office away from moving to Linux, as we already use Open Office and Thunderbird, the only toll missing is CAD to make the move. Please keep working!

• I've been wondering, since OSX is based on BSD, & the latest version is certified fully UNIX compliant, if it would be possible to get the next version of B4L to run on a Mac. If that were to work, there could be another source of revenue for Bricsys off of 1 version, & would give offices the choice of another computing platform.If Bricsys ever releases the native Linux version, I think I'll have to give it a shot, it'd be a fun experiment anyway.

• Mr. Van Den Bergh thank You very much for great news!Does that mean that you have stopped bugfixing V6 for Linux release?If that is so, I don't mind if that will speed up "native" V8 development.I would like to be a beta tester :-)Regards, Ljubo

• If it realy be(V8 natural@linux) it will be superb... :)Does it price will be different from win version?And one more did you plan also port architectural version

• So how close are we getting? You meant the first half of 2008 right? I am so excited I can barely stand it! Please give us some good news! Bricscad v8 a wonder product.

• Could Bricsys post an update on how are the works progressing?

• I am pretty sure that the deadline will just keep being pushed back further and further. I am guessing we have at least a year till we even hear news about this, or see an alpha/beta of the product. From what I have heard from Bricsys, they are just not that much in a hurry to get a linux version to market.

• ...and that's a sad thing

• 'Not in a hurry'? On the contrary: 'As fast as we can (not faster)'. We understand this is not as fast as you had hoped, nor as we had hoped. So we continue to work, best regards.

• Hans...I didn't mean to sound mean. However, I think the fact is that there is a Linux community drooling over the chance to have a modern cad software. We are just waiting desperately for any news at all... progress reports, a blog, a postponement date, a added feature, an alpha test for forum members etc...I am not sure that we are upset that the software isn't here so much as we are just dying to find out any information we can about the software you are developing. I would like to see a weekly or monthly newsletter or update on how the progress is going. This could be simple, and mundane as the fact that you have coded features xxxx and yyyy from the windows to the linux versions. Or if the progress is further along, you could offer screen shots or an test version.Maybe you could even make a timeline, or todo list. Show things that have been done, things that are being done, and things that still need to be done.I ( and I am sure the community) just really want to know where the development is at. Thanks for everything youve done!--Ryan

• As Ryan says, I would just be dying to know hen to expect the new Linux version!

• I'm really interested in this V8 linux (native) version. the V6 for linux (non native) i have is really too slow compared to V8 for windows i have. I want to use linux only, and i need this V8 version, and i'll need at least 3 licences. When it will be ready? Thanks.

• I'm agree with Ryan Gathmann.If it will be native Linux version I buy your software. (with opengl rendering and so).

• Me too, I agree with Ryan and Dusan.I would immediatly buy a native version for Linux! I wonder, would not be a good business? I believe, a big community is waiting for...The intellicad consortium in its whole is not working on it?

• Wow!!Any further news??

• With all due respect, could we please get another update to the status of the native Linux build, & a regular one at that? There are a lot of us who are very eager for this, & I think that we have proven this by buying Version 6, ever after some of us learned that a native version was in the works instead of just waiting for it to show up. I for one, & I do believe that I am not alone in this, was partially motivated to buy Version 6 to prove to Bricsys that we would buy the product, that there is indeed commercial viability in this market. We know you wouldn't do this for free, & we don't expect you to.Would it be possible to give us a regular monthly update, preferably with a couple details? Who knows, there maybe someone out here that could offer advice to Bricsys with a portion of the code that could be causing a slow down in the final release?Pardon the rant, but I am eager to completely dump Windows, & Bricsys shows the signs of giving me tools I desire to do what I need, in the environment of my choice. Just like many of us CHOSE to abandon AutoCAD & pick up an IntelliCAD distro in the first place?

• I agree with you. I need to buy some new licenses to my office and I would like to dump Windows too, and a good CAD program is the last software missing to do that. Please give us some idea of a time frame.

• I think this section of the forums ( and probably the code it self) if pretty well overlooked by Bricsys. Which I cant say that I cant entirely blame them. Linux is cut up in a chicken and the egg scenario. There are not many linux users because there is no software ( cad or otherwise). But Bricsys wont rapidly develop or support Bricscad for linux because there are few users out there. So while, I am usually on the offensive. I very sadly think we can not hold expectation too high for Bricsys, and when they do release a true linux version of Bricscad, then congratulations. Its a shame really.

• Marcelo- I thank you for your comment, it is always nice to know others share your opinion, especially when you are feeling frustrated. I do not wish to speak out of turn or too harshly, but I am passionate (it is a fault) about using Linux.Ryan- I fear that you may be correct. It is however tragic nonetheless. Bricsys tends to be ahead of the curve in IntelliCAD development (from my experience), and stands in a rare position to blow the competition out of the water- both in the IntelliCAD circle, and in the AutoCAD world. They are on the very precipice of a new market, and all indications are that they are about to shy away from it, at least from my viewpoint. Regardless, a firm statement of their intentions and adhering to it would be appreciated. If I wanted to be ignored by my CAD developer, I could have stayed with AutoCrap.I'll take another pause from my rant, though I am beginning to think that from the lack of response from Bricsys, that completely walking away would be more productive.

• To all Linux enthusiasts.First of all I refer to Hans' statement in his post of 2008-04-11 on this forum. We are working on the LINUX version. Let me explain what's going on.Today we are working with well over 30 developers on Bricscad Windows just to complete the full rewrite of Bricscad. Bricscad V8 was the first release based on our new CAD engine but redesigning and rewriting such a software is a hell of task as you can imagine. We have worked as hard on the development environments: our goal is to offer 100% compatibility there too.We expect to terminate that in Q4. By then we have a fully new coded CAD platform, including all the DWG development environments (LISP, COM, SDS, BRX), 100% compatible. The goal is to offer a CAD platform where application developers can offer their products as well. I guess overtime you will want applications on LINUX too, right?When we started the rewrite - now 4 years ago - it was the plan to produce also a native LINUX version based on exactly the same source code as the windows version. So we decided to choose one common interface development environment that could provide us a GUI with one source code for all platforms. We choose WX Widgets. For commercial reasons that you all will understand, we decided to give priority for the Windows rewrite, but as we redesign and rewrite the new GUI of Bricscad meanwhile we create as well the new GUI for the LINUX version. So are we working on it: yes step by step there are huge development chunks that serve Windows and LINUX. While concentrating also on the development environments of our Bricscad platform we found out that some parts of the MFC classes still will be required in the windows version because they are used many times by application developers. inevitably the consequence is that we will end up with two code streams although the differences will be minor. We will work on LINUX equivalents for application development and try to convince application developers to also offer on both platforms although it will require minor modifications to their code if they want both. We expect some will do, some not. Life would have been way more simple for us, by just using MFC classes and produce only a windows version. But we didn't , and that huge investment is your guarantee that we will release a native LINUX version. So for once and for all, that LINUX product is in the making. But please understand the scale of what we are doing. To do this right we had to have a broader vision than just rewrite an other DWG product. We are nearly there. Timing: Q4 of this year we hope to complete the Bricscad Windows rewrite. Immediately after that we can focus with a large number of developers on completing the native LINUX version. I hope you understand that - thanks to our decisions of 4 years ago - the absolute major part of the code is existing. Still we expect some serious developments required due to differences of the two OS's. Probably 8 to 10 months. But it will be the priority then. Enabling a lot of applications to run on Bricscad for LINUX is the next thing.To be complete: will there be a Mac version? Maybe... It is our wish to be multi platform. But LINUX first.I understand your frustrations. I hope you understand the size of this undertaking. I hope also you understand that we can't always communicate early in the open about our plans and our progress. That's our frustration. I sincerely thank you all for supporting us so far and I have to ask you to continue with that. Believe me, we are very very committed in everything we do. We do believe in interoperability, openness, fair pricing, excellent support, a good relation with our customers and all the wonderful people we have in this company. We don't believe in false promises.Thankserik de keyserCEO Bricsys

• I buy linux version too - one license for now... Of cource it should write(understand) cyrrilic symbols...

• Mr. de Keyser, Thank you for this information, this is personally what I was looking for and I do appreciate it. I can understand your concerns and needs. My personal frustration lies in when we hear that the release is around the corner, yet when the alluded time frame passes little to nothing has been stated. Again, Thank you.-Garrett Barber

• Hurray! Thanks very much for your update. I dont care that it will take a while, I just like to hear updates on the progress. I commend you for your efforts and I look forward to hear, finding out more.So if I am understanding this right, It is very roughly and tentatively 8-10 months after Q4 of this year that we should start to see some new Linux things? Well I look forward to it.Thanks again. Please keep us updated with news that is all we ask! Even small things mean a lot to us!Thankfully,Ryan Gathmann

• I too, am glad to hear of the progress. I use Kubuntu (Hardy Heron), have been an IT manager/developer (14yrs), am currently a full time designer for an engineering firm (3yrs) using AutoCAD 2008 on VMware 6.0. I would be willing to buy a V8 Bricscad for Linux and be a beta tester too. I do much of my CAD work in 3D. Just let me know when and what kind of hoops are required.Thanks.

• I am a Swedish architect and have been using the linux platform for a couple of years now. I just want to say that I am olso waiting for a strong native cad platform and I hope that more of my colleagues will see the benefit of using open sourse software for all secondary tasks at the office (administrative tools, vector graphics, word processing, desktop publishing, raster graphics editig, communication...) and get more economical resources for the cad platform and other tools focused on producing architecture.I am following your developement of native linux Bricscad with great interest.regardsMikael

• Dear Sirs,Greetings!We are Russian company and we are engaged in the production and development of transformers and other winding items. For work of our KB we are ready to buy three licenses of your system Bricscad when it will be the modern release for OS Linux. Could you inform us how soon can we expect it?Thank you in advance

• I am a Bosnian architect and general manager of bosnian company for produce and install aluminium and glass facades. We plannig to change all Windows Os to Linux ( Ubuntu). For this reasons we are already pay five licences on windows platform Bricscad Pro V8, and now next five V9, to prepare our designers to be ready for using Bricscad on Linux. We still wait only for new version on Linux platform to start replace OS.I understand reasons of development windows version Bricscad, but...

• Here is another one who would by at least one license, likely a second for my parents who than have no reason any more to stay with M$ ;-) Reading this forum I had the impression that there a several People who would not hesitate to help you in Alpha/Beta testing as soon you have something to throw at them (-: Im ready to catch ;-)Xris

This discussion has been closed.