Finally !

Michael Mayer
edited January 2018 in Shape

I love it instantly.

Will there be a macOS version too ?
I miss some settings, like to not auto add selection and drag selection.
Is there any hidden Settings option or a "Config" file to manually edit ?

And the Libraries are gorgeous.

Comments

• I'm just installing it. Exciting

• Michael Mayer
    edited January 2018

Hmmh,
    when you draw a Rectangle on a Face
    and extrude it inward to cut geometry,
    it cuts through more than 1 object !!!

I need that urgently in my Bricscad :)

While there is such a clean screen because of clean palettes and tools,
    plus there is Clean Screen,
    I immediately wish to be able to expand all (drop out) Tools.

What never should happen in Shape (and of course in Bricscad),
    the Layer organization behavior from Autocad.
    Deactivate the aktive Layer : It will pop up a useless warning
    and even worse : it really hides objects from the Active Layer !
    Arrrrgghhhh

• Is there a specific intended method for drawing roofs, etc, or just use shapes?

• I didn't do any roofs so far,
    but I think the recommended way in Bricscad is by using Polysolid.
    So I think that also applies to Shape.

That was 2 years ago but I didn't heard of any different workflow so far :

• We saw this video at the conference at the end of last year. It uses the manipulator tool and then creates a shell from the shape. It looks really easy. The video is about 22 minutes and the actual modeling begins at about 7 mins

• @Michael Mayer said:
    Hmmh,
    when you draw a Rectangle on a Face
    and extrude it inward to cut geometry,
    it cuts through more than 1 object !!!

I need that urgently in my Bricscad :)

Ouch, we already have that in Bricscad.
    It is just the 3rd Mode of Extrude Tool.
    Thank you Shape for learning me how to use Bricscad
    :smile:

• I can't imagine why anyone would make a roof as a dumb polysolid, when no one would do walls like that. A roof has layers and structure just like walls, columns etc - why should we not model it? Not being critical - just baffled. 'Other BIMs' proudly have automated creation of such dumb lumps - makes me shudder!

• Michael Mayer
    edited January 2018

I thought that is why you use a Polysolid.
    That you can apply a Composition.
    A Roof Composition, just like a Slab Composition.
    And do the Ply Connections just how the rest of Bricscad BIM works.
    No ?

In VW you have a Roof Tool that is quite capable.
    But it will fail in cases of some more complex Roofs used in some countries.
    With Solids you should be able to model any Roof.
    Then you have to switch to the Roof Faces Tool that are more capable
    but less automized and comfortable. If these still limit, you end up
    with manual Solids Modeling and manual IFC Tagging.

Just one problem currently,
    as you are doing some non rectilinear Geometries, Compositions currently
    don't work for round Walls or free forms.

• That could be fun, I'm still on the ground floor working to get walls and slabs created properly and get all the Information part of BIM into and out of Bricscad, the last project I worked on was a "flat" roof. I think 7 or 8 layers working from the inside out.
    plaster
    structural concrete
    drainage concrete (from 240 to 40 mm)
    water sealer
    insulation that followed the slope
    the drainage and leveling layer
    then ground on top of that
    followed by grass
    Plus a walkway somewhere in the middle, and here's me thinking getting walls and floor layers organized is a bit awkward.

• Tom Foster
    edited January 2018

@Michael Mayer said:
    ... that is why you use a Polysolid.
    That you can apply a Composition.
    A Roof Composition, just like a Slab Composition.
    And do the Ply Connections just how the rest of Bricscad BIM works.

Aha - that makes sense, could be a short-cut way - sort of 'lost-wax'' casting!

@Michael Mayer said:> as you are doing some non rectilinear Geometries, Compositions currently
    don't work for round Walls or free forms.

That's OK with me - as you noticed, I was talking in https://forum.bricsys.com/discussion/comment/35307/#Comment_35307 about
    "fully disciplined geometrically, not amorphous 'draw by hand', nor the kind of geometric extravagant curviness of Hadid, Gehry etc" i.e. straight flat 'cuboid' Builders Merchant generic materials but cut and fitted together non-rectilinearly - like before early CAD put a stop to that kind of everyday capability in Architecture!

• Ah, ok.

But wouldn't it be possible to create all that Zaha Hadid stuff in Bricscad
    just by Packages of Single Ply Composition Solids for round Walls and
    free Forms ?
    A bit more tedious of course by cutting manually 5 other Plies after inserting
    Windows or Doors - but correct for BIM/IFC at the end anyway (?)

• Tom Foster
    edited January 2018

Well, Hadid, Gehry and the other 'signature' architects use Catia-derived (automotive) s/ware for a reason, then import the geometry into BentleyBIM to add the 'I' bit of BIM. However Erik did give a 'just wait' hint about such capabilities in Brics.

That kind of hi-tech panelised/NC-manufactured stuff wd be admirable, but not the market sector I personally am interested in, which is the everyday provincial architect/local builder level.

For that, the world is waiting for (but has forgotten so doesn't know it!) someone to invent a whole set of tools that make off-angle (in multiple flat planes) work as easy as rectilinear. Pre-CAD, many architects loved to do that and builders could cut and fit it together. Such as https://s-i.huffpost.com/gen/1172888/images/o-ARCHITECT-HOMES-facebook.jpg

The most arduous bit was the 3D trigonometry necessary to accurately dimension it - but that problem's gone, with auto-dimensioning in CAD.

Note that Rhino is not the solution for such geometry creation, even less so Sketchup or I guess Shape.

At Brics Conference 2015 in Munich I laid this proposition out as well as I could, believing Bricsys to be the kind of grassroots-visionary outfit that might just grasp the waiting opportunity.

• Shouldn't be that difficult by modeling with Bricscads Single Solids (?)
    You can position/rotate them wildly in Space, easily connect them
    and apply the Multi Ply Compositions.
    Not sure if BIMSUGGEST will be always able to follow and maybe some
    intelligent Framing Tools needed.
    And finally extensive Part Lists to send to CNC or all kind of water/laser
    cutting devices.
    Not (?)

• Oh yes wildly (even precisely) rotated/intersected planes c/w Compositions are readily, uniquely possible in Brics - quite wonderful, for a refugee from 'other BIM'.
    But never as easy as rectilinear work. That's the challenge I'm posing - a radical, really novel look at just that, clean sheet free of age-old MechEng CAD procedures. A quantum leap as big as the Sketchup one, or even bigger. To make off-angle work even easier for everyman, than it was for bright architects pre-CAD.
    I have no ideas for how that could be done but I'm sure there's someone somewhere who's thought a lot about it. AI and VR procedures would be part of it.

• You would still need to logically decide where corners or vertices are going, and on a flat screen that is difficult to control without at least some rudimentary way to decide which way is up. Some form of 3D input device would be needed almost like the holodeck of the "enterprise" so you could be inside the model and it registers your pointing device in 3D space letting you move inside and outside scaling as needed.

• @Steven_g said:
    I'm just installing it. Exciting

hi, how did you install it?
    I can not install Shape,
    i receive the following message: "Installation directory must be on local hard drive."
    what is wrong??

• Well, on Mac you will sometimes get a similar message when you extract
    an installation package from an external drive.
    The solution is to copy the package to a local drive or better onto your
    desktop (access rights) before you start installation.

• Tom Foster
    edited March 2018

@Steven_g said:
    You would still need to logically decide where corners or vertices are going, and on a flat screen that is difficult to control without at least some rudimentary way to decide which way is up. Some form of 3D input device would be needed almost like the holodeck of the "enterprise" so you could be inside the model and it registers your pointing device in 3D space letting you move inside and outside scaling as needed.

Didn't see that back in Jan - yes a 'radical really novel look' shouldn't be afraid to require new input devices - high time - it's been a v long time since mice and wysiwig displays were the great breakthrough.
    'letting you move inside and outside' with fluent ease could be a spinoff bonus - again long overdue. Brics' approach to point cloud enablement, which is uniquely, mysteriously VR-linked could be just that.

https://forum.bricsys.com/discussion/33523/leica-cloudworx-for-bricscad#latest

• Dear NRS,

please put the installer file onto a local drive (not on network, on stick etc) ... that error message might be a bit misleading :-(
    hope this helps ...

• I spotted this a couple of weeks ago on Linkedin, now this would be a step in the right direction

• 1)I put a copy of the package to a local drive (C:),
    2)I put a copy on my desktop, before start installation ...i get same message
    the problem is not solve , i use Win7

• It looks like you are installing 64-bit BricsCAD. Are you running 64-bit Windows 7, or 32-bit?

• Windows 7 64-bit SP1

This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Click one of the buttons on the top bar to get involved!