V20 was OK, but V21 is a total disaster

For years we've used the Acad Lt versions for all our lay-outs in projects. Production was already in 3D via Creo software, but for 2D lay-outs we did it all in 2D.
Now we've moved from Acad Lt to Bricscad, after I used Bricscad V20 for several months. I had to make a 3D lay-out as a presentation was needed for a big offer. With no experience in 3D, I drawed the whole thing. Everything felt intuitive, so the managment agreed to make the change to Bricscad. We all use now the V21 and it's a disaster. I can hardly open any drawing without dealing with slow computers, freezing screens, messages 'not responding', ...
It's clear to me that V21 was not ready for introduction.
This post is no question. It's just a way to put my frustrations in.

Comments

• I'm assuming you are on Windows 10 as I ran into this as well recently.

Are you on a laptop with a dedicated graphics card? Until recently, with e.g. an nVidia graphics card, the control panel of the graphics card could be used to force an application to use the dedicated graphics card. Now it is fully controlled by Windows 10 but unfortunately it did not copy the settings from the graphics card control panel so you need to set it all over again in Windows 10.

1. Right mouse click on the desktop and select Display Settings from the pop-up menu.
    2. In the Display dialog scroll all the way down and select "Graphics settings"
    3. In the Graphics performance preference set the choice to desktop app and then click on the browse button to select BricsCAD v21
    4. When the app shows up click on the options button that shows up underneath the app name and set the graphics preference to "High Performance"
    5. Press the save button to store this setting.

That should force Bricscad to use the dedicated graphics card instead on the on CPU graphics. Graphics performance should then be improved (depending on the dedicated graphics card)

Rinse and repeat for any other application that you want to force using the dedicated graphics card.

• @RSW said:
    I'm assuming you are on Windows 10 as I ran into this as well recently.

Are you on a laptop with a dedicated graphics card? Until recently, with e.g. an nVidia graphics card, the control panel of the graphics card could be used to force an application to use the dedicated graphics card. Now it is fully controlled by Windows 10 but unfortunately it did not copy the settings from the graphics card control panel so you need to set it all over again in Windows 10.

1. Right mouse click on the desktop and select Display Settings from the pop-up menu.
    2. In the Display dialog scroll all the way down and select "Graphics settings"
    3. In the Graphics performance preference set the choice to desktop app and then click on the browse button to select BricsCAD v21
    4. When the app shows up click on the options button that shows up underneath the app name and set the graphics preference to "High Performance"
    5. Press the save button to store this setting.

That should force Bricscad to use the dedicated graphics card instead on the on CPU graphics. Graphics performance should then be improved (depending on the dedicated graphics card)

Rinse and repeat for any other application that you want to force using the dedicated graphics card.

Thanks,
    We will try that.

• tomcad143
    edited January 2021

I have used AutoCAD for 10+yrs and I just bought Bricscad Pro v21 and I want to learn 3d. I can not find and Bricscad manual on 3d, I see that their is a lot of similarity between the two, do you think AutoCAD manual will be very helpful?

• @tomcad143
    Yes, most commands in acad work in bcad, like.... all of them.
    3d modeling in acad/bcad is a matter of manipulating the current UCS.
    I like to draw a cube and use the UCS, Face command to pick a face.
    Then draw as normal, rotate, move, whatever.
    Then use the objects you are actually modeling to set the UCS.
    If you are not great at drawing in 2d in cad though, you have 2 learning curves...

• Like James says the trick is to get to understand DUCS ( Dynamic Coordinate Systems ) Check the manual.
    Also make good use of layers to to be able to turn things on/off for visibility.

• Tom Foster
    edited February 2021

Don't make him think that's the only way to turn things on/off - onerous!
    There's Show/Hide/Isolate, working with Structure Panel - excellent - except won't work inside a Block (it did in v19 Beta but was disabled) - massive disappointment.

• PiCo, your v21 license allows you to use v20, or any other previous version. So if you liked v20 but think v21 is not ready, maybe you should use v20 for a while.

• I'm using V21 in Linux and it's been smooth so far. I really like the tool improvements and the Dark mode. The only small issue is somewhat jerky movement for my mouse, but that may have to do with the Nvidia card. If I'm wrong and anyone has a suggestion, feel free to drop one.
    I don't experience crashes as much anymore. Love the interface.

• null
    Thanks so much for flagging that windows defaults to graphics card turned off.....really hadn't occurred to me that I would be wasting my graphics card because of this, but I was. Transformed machine.
  • i had a bad experience with bricscad 21 in linux ubuntu 22 LTS, i had daily crushes , so i wend back to bricscad 20 and are having a smooth ride since